Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their plugs on their Rio yet? I'm curious to know what type of plugs come from the factory and what I could potentially upgrade to, if anyone has any part numbers to share that would also be great!

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Has anyone changed their plugs on their Rio yet? I'm curious to know what type of plugs come from the factory and what I could potentially upgrade to, if anyone has any part numbers to share that would also be great!
It's way way too early to need a spark plug change.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
we presume you have a Rio (see my signature) so take one out and look at it, that will give you the answer. As we also don't know the year, but its usually a very long time before you need plugs on the newer models.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
In a modern engine, the only thing changing the plugs will do is waste a bunch of your money. The factory plugs are top-notch quality to begin with, so changing them is not going to make a bit of noticeable difference. With modern spark timing and all of the other computer controlled variables, even the node material doesn't make a lick of difference for anything except the service life of the plug. The factory plugs are designed to last 100k miles.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Did you notice any difference in the engine, performance ?
Provided plug is correct type, I can't see why you'd expect any difference in performance. I guess some plugs may last longer than others.

I can't remember having a plug problem in 30 years. Before fuel-injection, plugs used to foul up more often, and looking at the colour of the plugs used to be a good indication of correct mixture. I used to have the plugs in and out all the time when I was first messing around with cars. That, and adjusting the timing were a couple of easy things you could do to convince yourself that you were improving the performance.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I don't think the spark plugs that turn a Kia into a Subaru are sold in Canada.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 S 1.4
23 Posts
Provided plug is correct type, I can't see why you'd expect any difference in performance. I guess some plugs may last longer than others.

I can't remember having a plug problem in 30 years. Before fuel-injection, plugs used to foul up more often, and looking at the colour of the plugs used to be a good indication of correct mixture. I used to have the plugs in and out all the time when I was first messing around with cars. That, and adjusting the timing were a couple of easy things you could do to convince yourself that you were improving the performance.
I am not expecting a + in performance. As you said "Before fuel-injection" the story should be different.
Still a simple "No change at all" it's a valid response. Or even worst "Now it lags on low RPM :(" or Don't waste your money on this

But if someone did change the spark plugs.. let us now how you feel it right now. Not sure if a titanium-iridium-F1Ceramic-cover super duper spark plug can improve the performance in my 1.4 L 91 Octanes engine anyways.:p

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
If K&N made spark plugs, those and some stickers will add 30hp. :)

Seriously, I think you can only improve on reliability, not performance.

Bosch, NGK.

Stay the heck away from Champion (IMHO) as clearly 1/3rd of these have failed on me.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
no; no it is not 'clear' that 1/3rd of these have failed on you...
Right. I can see where you're confused.

Still, its perfectly clear to me and I AM the only one that matters.

Seriously, I think we're not focusing on the real point here. Lets face it. There's nothing we can do to turn these motors bad***.

Is there? I'd love to see one of these cranking out 200+hp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you notice any difference in the engine, performance ?
i don't see any difference in performance (maybe 0.1% :) ) but i think my car engine sound is more aggressive(or it is only my feeling :) ) sorry no help.

i chose ngk iridium because the stock spark plug had nearly the same price but not iridium and it was hard to get.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2013 S 1.4
23 Posts
i don't see any difference in performance (maybe 0.1% :) ) but i think my car engine sound is more aggressive(or it is only my feeling :) ) sorry no help.

i chose ngk iridium because the stock spark plug had nearly the same price but not iridium and it was hard to get.
Thanks , that was an fair dinkum reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts