Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says 100K miles; I've got 70K and my mpg has been drifting downwards. Have any members replaced plugs on a V6 at about this time and noticed an mpg bump?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
100K mile plug life is marketing BS, in my opinion. Changed mine on my 2.4L at 54K, they needed it.

·
Registered
2015 ex-v6
96 Posts
Changed mine at 110 000km, could had last another 100 000km. Looked new, not much carbone on it and no change in mpg.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I don't think I will attempt to change mine unless I notice a real drop in mpg or in performance, how smooth the car runs etc.

Let me guess though, did you have to take apart half of the top of the engine to get at them, as usual in modern made cars these days? lol I sure wish changing plugs was as easy as it was back in the day, when you had like a foot of space between the engine and the engine bay walls, and there was nothing even close to the plugs except maybe a header or something, these new ones sure can be a pain. I had an Impala that you had to ratchet and rock the engine forward to get at the rear 3 plugs ... fun times indeed! lol

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Yeah the V6 requires partial engine disassembly. One reputable local shop has quoted ~$100 labor for the job. Pretty fair, but a royal PITA. As to the life, I'd guess that mfrs have to certify plug life for emissions compliance to the EPA. No? But it may be BS nonetheless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts