Kia Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
So far it's running pretty well.

Still takes about 30 minutes for the heater to REALLY kick in- is there something I can do to speed that up?
I'm driving to practice every morning at 4:50AM, so a heater would be pretty nice.

Gassed up today with a full 12-13 gallons, so we'll see how my MPG fairs.
I usually get full heat within 5 minutes of driving in freezing temperatures. I would recommend replacing the thermostat as it will take you all of 20 minutes doing it your first time and it is easy.

Remove the two bolts holding down the air inlet (rectangular plastic duct between the hood/radiator leading to the air box), then remove the three bolts holding the water outlet housing to the cylinder head, this is what the upper radiator hose attaches to if you aren't familiar. Then just pull out the thermostat and replace it with a new one and install a new water outlet gasket, shouldn't cost more than $10 at any auto parts store.

The reasoning behind this is that the thermostat is likely stuck open, allowing coolant to flow in to the radiator before the engine reaches operating temperature, which means the fan is blowing what little heat you are building up in to the atmosphere, and not getting hot enough to heat the heater core.

The thermostat should not expand/open until it reaches 190 degrees.. unless it's stuck that is. ;)

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I usually get full heat within 5 minutes of driving in freezing temperatures. I would recommend replacing the thermostat as it will take you all of 20 minutes doing it your first time and it is easy.

Remove the two bolts holding down the air inlet (rectangular plastic duct between the hood/radiator leading to the air box), then remove the three bolts holding the water outlet housing to the cylinder head, this is what the upper radiator hose attaches to if you aren't familiar. Then just pull out the thermostat and replace it with a new one and install a new water outlet gasket, shouldn't cost more than $10 at any auto parts store.

The reasoning behind this is that the thermostat is likely stuck open, allowing coolant to flow in to the radiator before the engine reaches operating temperature, which means the fan is blowing what little heat you are building up in to the atmosphere, and not getting hot enough to heat the heater core.

The thermostat should not expand/open until it reaches 190 degrees.. unless it's stuck that is. ;)
Should drain the coolant first too, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Purchased a Stant 'SuperStat' Thermostat (#45869) 195°F for $9.99
Pepboys had it in their system as OEM, so I picked this one over the same model for $5. ("Alt Model")
Fel-Pro Thermostat Gasket for $2.99

Easiest replacement, by far.
Just like DeeRock said, remove the two screws that hold the duct on, unscrew the hoses that split out, pull out, then just remove the upper radiator hose and the three bolts that hold the thermostat, and done.

I drained some coolant, but stopped it about a third way in because I figured that'd be enough to pull from the top; I'm sure I wouldn't even have had to drain coolant, actually. Just put back the coolant I had drained.

Only a few things regarding replacement.

1. On old thermostat, the bottom seems to be popped out (even after it cooled off), is this a fail-safe? The newer one did not have the shaft popped out a little. (Outline in red)

2. On old thermostat, it had a whole apparatus that attached the small pin thing to the rest of the housing (outlined in green).
The newer one did not have the apparatus, but did have the tiny pin.
Any issue not swapping it over? I literally dropped the new one in and reinstalled the gasket.

3. How do I measure whether I have enough coolant or not?
There is not dipstick/level is there? How would I know if I had enough, or not?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Couple things after the thermostat change.

Waited to take a left turn, stop-go traffic, saw temp gauge peak over 1/2 mark, so I took heat full on, and took cabin circulate off, temps dropped but not below 1/2 mark, so I gunned it down a street to cool down the radiator. Stayed right around 1/2 mark when driving, when stopped it slowly rose to a solid 70%.
Worked, somewhat; but still worries me how it will drive in the summer.

Drove it to practice this morning, a tad better; heat definitely kicked in sooner, but could have been affected by the warmer air this morning than before.

Don't think thermostat was necessary, but nice to know another part now replaced.

What now?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
See post #7 -

Get that manifold / o2 sensor leak checked and fixed, and verify condition of the top Pre-Cat to make sure you haven't damaged it, which if impaired would be contributing to your overheat issue..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
See post #7 -

Get that manifold / o2 sensor leak checked and fixed, and verify condition of the top Pre-Cat to make sure you haven't damaged it, which if impaired would be contributing to your overheat issue..
Looked it up on KGIS, does not look hard or complicated at all.

Could you describe it a tad bit more?
What am I looking for once I take the heatshield off, then the manifold?
Gasket?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
-- Important: all parts removal should be done with engine -cold-, after sitting for several hours, else you risk stripping bolts/nuts/studs!! --

At a minimum, some 1/2" drive sockets, and a pick tool to help w/ getting the upper O2 sensor plug released,

Remove the exhaust manifold heat-shield and visually inspect the entire manifold and O2 sensor area for cracks or leaks before further dissasembly - use an inspection mirror and shop light as needed,

Hook the 02 sensor back up, start and feel for leaks..

re: Gasket, tears, kinks, or material between the (2) layers will affect it..

--
If unsure about procedure or what to look for, seek professional advise & assistance.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts