Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Optima Sx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I need to replace my spark plugs at the 45 k mark, as per the owners manual.

I love my 2016 Optima Turbo, but not the dealers, since have had one too many errors happen and had to wait triple or quadruple the normal time for different jobs.

So, I'd like to get an independent mechanic to replace my spark plug with same or similar performance plug.

The Optima owner's manual just requires correct "heat range", but does not mention which that is. Plugs for my car at dealer are quoted at 30 each! (total $120). I've never heard of plugs being that expensive, unless they are some high performance ones.

I checked Denso online and they state that the Denso ZXU22HCR8 Iridium Long Life Plug, DEN3501, @ $12 (total $48) dollars each is appropriate for my car. That's a huge price difference ($70).

Can someone tell me if this Denso plug I mention is the appropriate plug or are there any worthwhile alternatives. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong plug and that is why it is such a difference?

Also, I want to make sure that changing the spark plugs is a simple job, for anyone with the tools, without any tuning necessary (pull coils, remove plugs, place anti-seize, put coils on, start engine, verify it's running smoothly), so I need to know whether this spark plug replacement job requires anything beyond simply placing the plug. I'm getting quotes and some independent mechanics want to charge 150-200, for a job that I heard in less than an hour. That seems high. One hundred dollars for an hour of work is too much. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,807 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I need to replace my spark plugs at the 45 k mark, as per the owners manual.

I love my 2016 Optima Turbo, but not the dealers, since have had one too many errors happen and had to wait triple or quadruple the normal time for different jobs.

So, I'd like to get an independent mechanic to replace my spark plug with same or similar performance plug.

The Optima owner's manual just requires correct "heat range", but does not mention which that is. Plugs for my car at dealer are quoted at 30 each! (total $120). I've never heard of plugs being that expensive, unless they are some high performance ones.

I checked Denso online and they state that the Denso ZXU22HCR8 Iridium Long Life Plug, DEN3501, @ $12 (total $48) dollars each is appropriate for my car. That's a huge price difference ($70).

Can someone tell me if this Denso plug I mention is the appropriate plug or are there any worthwhile alternatives. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong plug and that is why it is such a difference?

Also, I want to make sure that changing the spark plugs is a simple job, for anyone with the tools, without any tuning necessary (pull coils, remove plugs, place anti-seize, put coils on, start engine, verify it's running smoothly), so I need to know whether this spark plug replacement job requires anything beyond simply placing the plug. I'm getting quotes and some independent mechanics want to charge 150-200, for a job that I heard in less than an hour. That seems high. One hundred dollars for an hour of work is too much. Thanks.
https://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2016-2018-sportage/279210-sx-plugs-r-r-10.html

I think you'll find the answer in that thread.

I'm sure that you'll find that they're not Denso, but a special order NGK.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
221 Posts
You have the correct N/D plug number. I would advise you to stay with the N/D's I've tried another mfg' iridium plugs and had some minor driveability issues that were not there with the N/D's. The dealer prices are truly incredible, on Long Island they want $437.00 for that plug change. The plugs were just under $10.00, and with a cold motor it took 20 min's and some of that was cleaning off dust before doing the actual job. It is for sure one of the easiest plug changes I've ever done.

·
Registered
2016 Optima Sx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for that helpful and complete information. If this is a special plug then I will make sure to get that one. I don't want to ruin my engine or warranty.

By the way, I hope that I didn't post this in the wrong place, since there seems to be a thread about it. I did try to search for that issue and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
2016 Optima Sx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks oldsport for your very prompt reply and insight on the time it takes!

Wow, Long Island prices are out of hand! (I was born there, by the way.)

The dealer here in Florida wants about $200 for the job, including the parts... of course they will add "shop charges", "disposal" , tax, etc. and everything you can imagine, if I let them ...haha.. :-(

But, seriously, I may just buy one plug directly at the dealership and just open the box to see what the plug says on it because if it is indeed a special plug as ron1004 states, I don't want to worse engine performance or risk warranty issues.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
221 Posts
Those are the plugs that were in my 2.0t from the factory. Save yourself some money, if you are skeptical just remove one plug from your motor, check the number, and reinstall it temporarily until you purchase the replacements.
Have Fun

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
615 Posts
Correct plug, about $12.50 at rockauto.
If you can, learn how to change them yourself, get proper tools to do it. they are not expensive. The job isn't difficult.
Teach your kids how it's done.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,807 Posts
Those are the plugs that were in my 2.0t from the factory. Save yourself some money, if you are skeptical just remove one plug from your motor, check the number, and reinstall it temporarily until you purchase the replacements.
Have Fun
Good advice there.

I'd be surprised if it has different plugs to the Sportage with the same engine.

Also, to be safe make sure that Kia hasn't issued a TSB advising the custom ordered spark plugs seen in the Sportage.

·
Super Moderator
10,807 Posts
Correct plug, about $12.50 at rockauto.
If you can, learn how to change them yourself, get proper tools to do it. they are not expensive. The job isn't difficult.
Teach your kids how it's done.
If it's NGK SIL ZK R8E then you'll find rockauto.com do not have the correct plug.

·
Registered
2016 Optima Sx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All, Sorry about the delay in responding. I ran into some complications. I bought some tools to do the spark plug replacement job myself on my 2016 Kia Optima 2.0 turbo, that I purchased new. I also bought the DENSO iridium plugs recommended by DENSO for this application, as mentioned above at the start of this thread. I searched online for the NGK plugs that would fit but none were available at the NGK corporate sites. So when I went to do the job myself I was unfortunately unable to separate the coil's wiring clip from the coil on plug without risk of breaking it, since it is cheap and brittle plastic and fastened in an illogical way that I've never seen. So, rather than break it or have to buy access to KIA service manuals, I took it to a local independent mechanic who did the job as I watched. It turns out that the spark plugs that were inside the engine are NOT DENSO, but instead NGK. In fact I believe that like ron1004 said above in his repose, these spark plugs are a custom plug made for KIA/ Hyundai by NGK for this specific 2.0 l engine, because if you search the NGK corporate website you can't find those plugs! The plugs for this car at the dealership cost 30 dollars each! The independent mechanic told me that my DENSO plugs would be better than the NGK ones in the engine, maybe generalizing based on the brand, but I'm not sure that he really knew that the particular NGK plug that came with the engine was a custom plug for this engine. The plug that was in the engine has Kia Hyundai Stamped on it as well as NGK. Here is the info on the plugs: NGK IR SIL ZKR8E 9G Kia/Hyundai. The strange thing is that I went to the KIA dealership, gave them the engine and year, and they let me open a spark plug package so that I could see which one it was. And it was the DENSO plug that I mentioned above. So confusing!

For now, until I get more information, the DENSO spark plugs are in, but I do have questions about what will be best spark plugs for the engine or if there is some secret information that only the dealerships and KIA corporate have about the best spark plugs for any changes in the engine, such as some ECU updates that were indeed performed by the dealer.

Thanks again for your help. If you have any more guidance or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
10,807 Posts
The independent mechanic told me that my DENSO plugs would be better than the NGK ones in the engine
His personal preference and opinion on the best brand plug might work against you if you found yourself in the unfortunate position of a warranty claim with Kia.

I doubt that the mechanic is going to honor the warranty.

It is my understanding that problems with this engine led to Kia getting NGK to manufacture a custom design spark plug.

·
Registered
2016 Optima Sx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided the same day to go to the dealership and have them take out the DENSO OEM equivalent aftermarket and put in the Kia NGK OEM plugs, exactly as what was in the engine when I purchased the vehicle new. Those OEM HYUNDAI KIA DENSO are made in Korea and not available anywhere else other than KIA or KIA dealers. It cost me 215 dollars in total including the labor. I've maintained my vehicle well and my engine oil test show the engine is perfect. The only potential issue not seen in those tests is carbon build-up, which I will need to have checked again soon. Thanks to all for your contribution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts