Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just called Discount Tire and for $85.00 ($135.00 for a new tire) which includes a used 16 inch tire and a black steel wheel I can have the peace and mind of having a full size spare in my trunk for my 2013 Optima EX.
I figured who needs the hardware when the Roadside Assistance peeps will have all that stuff with them anyways.
I like spending $85.00 over the cost of a doughnut spare where i have seen prices around the $200.00 mark.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Dont forget if you are going to change a tire yourself, you WILL need a way to lift your Kia to change your tire.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima EX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but at this point i can not change the tire out anyways since we just have that wondeful tire mobility kit.
I am going to hope that I never have to worry about a bum tire, but at least for the next 5 years Roadside Assistance will be my savior.

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX, 04 Sebring. 98 Ranger
104 Posts
Spare tire kit

I am not a big fan of the doughnut spare tire but rather that have that inflating pump and goo I purchased a 17" spare tire kit. Our drivers side front tire developed a bubble on the side wall. We hit no pot hole or curve to cause this. Kind of scarry to see this bubble increase in size after driving and shrink back down when cooled off. The dealer would not honor the Tire manufacturers warranty (the 2012 Optima is only 7 months old and about 7500 miles on it) as he said we must have hit something which we know we did not. I think it could be a flaw in the tire. After searching around for info I came across a dealership in Deland, FL that sells the whole kit, mounted tire and styrofoam holder with jack and tools for about $220 and free shipping. Ebay also has them up on line for about 30 dollars cheaper and no free shipping and most of the kits you would have to have the tire mounted to the wheel and that would negate the savings.
After talking to several tire repair places they mentioned that if the damage was to the bottom of the tire you could use the goo but there is a cost to remove the goo from the inside to repair the tire. But being on the side wall and if it burst the goo would do no good. Also after reading horror stories of owners waiting for over 3 hours for KIA towing we figured that was not for us.
I figured to so this first and later on get a full size spare to have, right now I can't seem to locate one in my area.
If interested below is the site for the KIA dealership.

OEM Kia SuperStore - Your Best Choice for OEM Kia Parts & Accessories!

On the left bar do a search for model and then hit year and the items fo sale pop up. Most optimas have 17" wheels

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I just called Discount Tire and for $85.00 ($135.00 for a new tire) which includes a used 16 inch tire and a black steel wheel I can have the peace and mind of having a full size spare in my trunk for my 2013 Optima EX.
I figured who needs the hardware when the Roadside Assistance peeps will have all that stuff with them anyways. I like spending $85.00 over the cost of a doughnut spare where i have seen prices around the $200.00 mark.
OK if you have time on your hands. Why not get the tools and be independent? Still can't figure out why KIA doesn't provide a full-size spare; it's standard in Australia. Lack of a spare is a deal-breaker for me.

You see some nonsense written about "weight-saving" by not having a spare, but the weight of a spare (or the saving by only having a donut) is nothing compared to the other stuff that you have to carry - like passengers. A spare is also handy if you want to rotate the tyres, and it's not a bad idea to have a wheel wrench in the car to check the security of the wheel lug-nuts.

The only excuse for not having a spare is when the wheels are simply too big to carry in the car. e.g. sports cars often have very big wheels, and even if a donut was available, the flat tyre would have to be left by the road. Have a look at a Lambo, the size of the wheels and the space available.

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX M/T
106 Posts
I'm such a procrastinator. I bought a set of pizza wheels and tires aftermarket and replaced my donut spare with one of the full-sized OEM wheels. Now the original donut and 3 full sized steelies have been sitting in my garage for 2 years. I keep meaning to eBay them and never get around to it. It sounds like there's a market. One of these days... <_<

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Now the original donut and 3 full sized steelies have been sitting in my garage for 2 years. I keep meaning to eBay them and never get around to it. It sounds like there's a market.
A life-time supply of spare wheels! Tyres don't last forever, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought an OEM refinished rim off eBay, a tire locally and had the tire mounted and balanced. Overall cost was about $225. My 2006.5 Optima came with the 'space saver' spare, including jack and lug wrench. The storage well under the trunk floor is large enough for the full-size wheel/tire (it is where you carry the flat to get it fixed, apparently) so for the cost and the bit of extra weight I think this is a good solution. I worry about getting a flat on a long trip, and needing do drive hundreds of miles on the 'space-saver' tire - they are not made for that, nor for my highway speeds.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The storage well under the trunk floor is large enough for the full-size wheel/tire (it is where you carry the flat to get it fixed, apparently) so for the cost and the bit of extra weight I think this is a good solution. I worry about getting a flat on a long trip, and needing do drive hundreds of miles on the 'space-saver' tire - they are not made for that, nor for my highway speeds.
The storage well isn't specially made, it's part of the original design for a proper size wheel (maybe even a full-sized spare).

When you do have space, there's no rational reason for not having a full-sized spare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here you go.
I will always have a spare ready to go. I don't want to wait for anyone. I like having the ability to change and go and fix when I get to where I'm going. Ever find a tire shop open at 3 am? Roadside assistance will tow to nearest Kia dealer. No thanks. ImageUploadedByAG Free1362278835.714519.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
The complete kit can be had in all sizes for well under $200 shipped on eBay from a Kia dealer.

No affiliation other than that's where I bought mine for my SXL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts