Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kio Rio 5 SX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking in to purchasing a spare tire kit and I've been looking around the web for the best deals. I've noticed that sites will advertise spare kits for the 15" wheels and the 17" wheels. However, when you look at the part numbers...they're the same. Is there really a difference? Has anyone ordered a set for the 17", and if so, can you verify the part numbers for me. Also, where did you purchase it from if you don't mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
any tire made for this car should have the same outer dimension. if you get a smaller rim you get a thicker tire, bigger rim = thinner tire. I have 17's for the summer and 15's for the winter. If they were different outer diameters then my speedometer would be messed up, but it isn't. The sites are likely advertising 15" rims for their winters (regardless of what size you currently have on your car). It would be expensive to get 17" winter rims with low profile winter tires....

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
The OEM kit I ordered for my SX is a 15" wheel & pretty tall tire. It should arrive today so I'll let you know if the total height is close to our 17" with tire.

Rick

·
Registered
Kio Rio 5 SX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OEM kit I ordered for my SX is a 15" wheel & pretty tall tire. It should arrive today so I'll let you know if the total height is close to our 17" with tire.

Rick
Yeah, let me know.

I called my local dealer to ask how much they charge for the kit, and they told me $245 for the parts, $275 if they mounted the tire to the wheel. So let me know where you got it as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
Don't feel bad, we ALL overpaid because we had to purchase the spare tire kit on our own. Now I have the tire, the jack, tools, the tire inflator, my own bottle of Green Slime and a plug repair kit.

But I did get 3 free Plush Hoodie Hamsters with my kit.
I ordered 3 seat belt Hamster buddies separately and found 3 more mixed in with the tire

·
Registered
Kio Rio 5 SX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Some photoshop enhancing tells me that the eBay spare is a 125/80-15 that needs to be inflated to 60 PSI. That is, it's only a temporary spare, and it's not the same overall diameter as a proper wheel + tyre.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
I was aware that the factory spare tire kit is a temporary spare. (Donut) No surprises there.

The overall diameter looked to be around 21.5" - 22" (Measuring in a dark trunk)
The factory SX wheels looked like 23" in overall diameter. I did make sure to inflate it to 60 PSI before stowing. So yeah, it's a little smaller. Just like almost all the other manufactures use, if they include one with the car. I had a full sized spare in my 2004 Subaru Forester which I never had the unfortunate opportunity to use. The 2010 Forester came with only temporary spare. Go figure.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'm not very fond of temporary spares with their speed limits and smaller diameters. Probably best to only use them on the rear wheels to give the differential an easier time.

I've recently been looking at taking a second spare for my Nissan Maxima on a trip to an isolated area. Normal wheels are (alloy) 215/55-17 with a steel spare of the same size. I found that a 195/65-15 wheel from our Mazda will fit the rear of the Maxima with adequate clearance, so that will be my sort-of temporary extra spare. Brakes on the front are too big for the 15".

·
Registered
Kio Rio 5 SX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also aware that it's just a donut spare tire, but at this point I would rather have something than nothing at all for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Donuts are better than nothing (only just). I have only needed a spare twice in nearly 50 years on the road, but was pleased to have a proper one with me. I sometimes carry two.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
Funny you guys are talking about this...had a flat on the highway 2 days ago at 10 pm. Tried the stupid repair kit and didn't fix the leak. Had to be towed to the nearest dealer. Cost $160 for new tire and mounting. I am buying the spare now...that fix a flat shit sucks. On a positive note...the air compressor works well and is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
52 Posts
I just installed my spare in the hatch, looks like its pretty close to the factory size. Fit nicely in the hatch once the stock insert was ripped out.

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts