Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my wife's rio, whenever anything over 5 or 10 pounds is placed in the trunk, the spare tire cover sags. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, and easy fix? In my elatra, there is a hard foam piece that came with the spare tire kit so that the spare tire cover does not bend down under weight.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Have you checked to see what type (if any) spare tyre you have? Emergency spare may not be large enough to support the rear cover. Others have complained about this, and and installing a piece of ply has been suggested. Full-size spare with foam insert/kit is another option.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Those poor Yanks don't get a Spare tyre. We Canucks @ least get a donut!

·
Registered
2013 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car did not come with a donut and I purchased a factory donut kit. I can't believe how poorly designed the spare tire area cover is. Are there any aftermarket kits that can be purchased? I will certainly complain to the dealer when I take it back next time.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The dealer won't care.

Car makers have lost the plot with spare tyres, donuts etc. I had a Mazda 2 that came with a "temporary spare" that was laughably inadequate. The well for the spare was sufficient for a full-sized wheel, but had a plastic tray to support the donut. I'll bet that the cost of the temporary spare and special mounting was more than a proper spare (which I bought immediately).

Seems that the logic behind donuts is they save fuel because of the lower weight. You might as well save weight by getting your passengers to walk.

·
Registered
2013 Kio Rio LX+ Hatchback
12 Posts
I didn't get a donut and I'm a Canuck! 8 ( All we got was the compressor and fix a flat can.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Bootsie I have an SX & I think the EX has one.Didn't know LX does not :(.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Canada EX has a donut.

Does your trunk floor/carpet have foam on the underside of it? That is needed to rest on the donut. It will still sag a bit though, but more for heavier weights.
I had 4 16" rims in there with no issue, and still no issue (other than fitting them in) after getting tires mounted.

Could you get the SX trunk luggage tray add-on? Seems like that would be a more solid structure than the flimsy board/carpet.

I'll likely create my own floor in the coming months... maybe add in an amp & subwoofer. I did that with my previous car and worked great having a wooden floor in the hatch.

·
Registered
2013 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spare tire kit did not come with foam, should it have came with this? Is there anywhere I can purchase this piece?

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Well on the underside of my trunk/carpet piece are 4(I think) pieces of foam glued to it. They rest on the spare tire to provide support for whatever you put in the trunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts