Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I'm sure if I'm posting in the wrong area or this question has been answered before, I will hear about it, which is fine, but I thought I'd take a chance and ask a question.

My Rio came without a spare tire which I didn't think about as I'd never had a flat. That changed recently, and after having two trucks maneuvering in pouring rain in a mini mall to tow me to a shop (thanks AAA), I want to get a spare. My question is, do I need the spare kit or special spare tire, or can I just buy a used tire? I live in Los Angeles and AAA is never far away, so keeping that in mind, any advice? And I apologize if this is too rudimentary a question for this forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
A full size spare will fit in the trunk under the cover and you are thinking right in getting a spare with a jack. Used wheels can be found pretty cheap. Just make sure it is the correct size. The jack I carry came from an older Ford Focus and works perfectly. Tire? Don’t settle for something with a lot of age. When you finally need it, it may not be very good. A brand new tire mounted is $64 at a tire shop I just looked up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kit includes a bin

Partly depends on whether you're OK with the mini donut spares or if you want a full sized tire.

We bought the spare tire kit, and it included a replacement bin to hold the mini tire. I'm not sure how it would have worked to have a spare tire (mini or full size) bouncing around down there without the custom fit bin. Maybe fine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can probably go to an auto wrecker and get a wheel off same car model, wheel and tire in good or very good condition for cheap. It doesn't have to be on alloy rim either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i started a similar thread a few months back, found here. the (my) last reply should help you find a solution.

i ended up buying a mini (the car, not the size) rim (4x100) with a full sized tire, it was the first cheap rim and tire that i came across

never know where you will get a flat, and how long will need to drive on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Pine Sol
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing