Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can your decribe when your car get noise? Was the loudly noise found when your car was running on high speed or anytime after you start your engine?
I feel the engine noise is loudly when I drive my car on highway. but it is really quiet when I drive slowly. about under 60 km/hr.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A few shots, inital stages of damping my doors.

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.p...&cat=500&page=1

The completed pic is attached. Sorry about the bad quality, didn't have a digicam on me at that moment.

Also, if you are talking about engine and road noise, there's so much more you need to do to get a lil bit of sanity back in the cabin.

FYI: Carens is a real easy vehicle to dismantle, and i'm no trained mechanic of any sort.

I took apart the tire cowl covers and sprayed thick coats of undercoating/bedliner as well as use specifically shaped sponge to block off the space between fender and door section

This will cover tire howl/road noise and wind turbulence in front. DOn't forget to strip the whole car and apply damping mats to the floor, roof and walls too. When applying damping mat to the roof, make sure you apply silicone at the edges, it's supposed to be much more effective that way.

Then comes engine noise. This will require yet more work and more money.

I first started off with disassembling the part between the bonnet and the windscreen, where the wipers are. Apply damping mat or spray, undercoating, whatever, to reduce vibration coming in from that area.

Then it's onto your hood/bonnet. Remove the heat shielding cover (careful not to break too many tabs off) and clean the metal surface. (Always clean before applying damping mats). Apply damping mat in pieces that fit to the contour of the metal. If you can locate some expanding foam, it's a good idea to spray into the holes, where there are large spaces between the actual hood and the framework. Spray a layer of undercoating. Replace heat shielding cover. (look at attachment)

The firewall is the trickiest to handle, but will gather the best results. Get a cheap pump (after single use, it'll be too sticky with undercoating stuff) and a hose. Ont he firewall, there are small little screws or little holes near the top. Put the tube in place and fill up the cavity between engine bay and cabin. Carens isn't overly large like some american cars, so I think you'll be done with about 3 or 4 liters, i think.

I dunno for carens 2, but like my carens 1, it's hard to access the firewall to apply damping mats on that area, nor to paint, so I didn't. I'm sure there would be better results if you did that too.

Internally, it would be greatif you can get some egg tray shaped sponge foam to apply to the firewall from the cabin (near the pedals). This will help adsorb noise entering the cabin.

damping mat are effective on vibrations, and if you just want to get rid of a bit of sound, you will need to get sound absorbtion mats.

phew, it's late at night and I rushed this. Hope I've made some sense.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts