Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been checking into snow tires,,,hear now that getting wheels on these saves time,,,however,,with the TPMS,,add cost,,,so being clueless to autos, what is the problem with putting snow tires on alloy wheels, besides it taking more time? thanks everyone!!:)

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
well my opinion is that salt and other abrasives that they put on roads are pretty rough on nice wheels corrosion would be a factor but i am just taking a guess as we don't get much snow in southern california.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
There is nothing wrong with installing snow tires on alloy wheels. There is nothing extra that needs done, installing a tire on an alloy is the same as a steel wheel. The problem with alloys where we are is that the salt and road debris end up causing the wheels to corrode. This is one reason that people mount snow tires on separate wheels. The other is to save time, and in the long run, cost, because paying every time you change out tires gets expensive. You also need to buy the other wheels, so over time the costs will basically just offset.

As for the TPMS, a lot of people don't install sensors on their winter wheels. This doesn't hurt anything, but the tire indicator will be lit and you won't know if a tire is losing air. When the summer are wheels are installed, the codes will need cleared, but that's it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi spongebob, thanks for your help,,,I think I will stick with the alloy wheels, try to protect them and save some money,,got a quote of $20 to switch tires,,figure its about the same as a cheap dinner out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive driven my soul in plenty of snow and ice! here in Louisville KY the city gets all paranoid and starts dumping [salt] brine on the roads well before it even snows. i haven't noticed any effects from the salt on my wheels yet! since your talking about snow tires i will also include that my car has done really well in the snow. since its only 2 wheel drive i would assume the traction control and stability control play a major part but im no expert im just telling you what ive experienced! good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I stopped at a Goodyear, where I looked at a all weather tire, have to ponder, as they are pricey. I live on high hills, my husband gets around great in his Honda fit, which is a lightweight small car. I hope winter is mild like last years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts