Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me whether it is possible to start off in 2nd gear with the the automatic gearbox on the Sorrento. The owner manual indicates that you can - and one should be able to particularly if driving in sand or mud,. I have tried but I cant. The gearbox by the way is the steptronic box. Tks.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Nope, you can't, sorry.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
You're right the owners manual DOES say you can do this. I have driven several other KIA's namely the Magentis and it will allow you to do just that. Put in the manual mode and it will show you the '2' and start off that way. I think it's a typo in the manuel left over from the Magentis.

Of note however I think (not confirmed mind you) that the auto box in our Sorentos starts you in 2nd all the time. I have noticed a much different take off when in Man mode than in auto. I think in auto the computer tells it to start off in 2nd unless you floor it. Then it will shift down to 1st and give you a much better acelleration. I may be wrong but either way I'm like you Iwish I had the choice to take off in 2nd and know it. I know I have a 4wd but you know sometimed it really is not practicle to put it in 4wd. Like being at a stop light and it's raining real hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts