Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to find out comments from sorento car users :) , interested to get one but not sure is a good decision?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Read this forum and other forums you will get all the information you need.

If you need links or have a specific question let me know.

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Originally posted by Ilan@Nov 4 2004, 01:11 AM
Read this forum and other forums you will get all the information you need.

If you need links or have a specific question let me know.
Depends on what you're looking for in a SUV. The Sorento is based on a truck platform (body on frame) and live axle, so the ride is firm and kinda skittish on road ripples. Off road, however, the same characteristics plus its low-range gearing gives it rock-crawling abilities you couldn't expect from a Tribute/Escape, RAV4, CRV, Pilot, Highlander or Xtrail -- these are all so-called softroaders. Softroaders give you a more car-like rides.

As a truck-based SUV, the Sorento handles very well, both on- and off-road. Build quality is excellent, which is more than I can say for my '99 Expedition. Engine power is decent, and acceleration is much better than Tribute/Escape's (Sorento's 192 bhp 3.5 liter V6 versus Tribute's 201 bhp, 3.0 liter V6, just doesn't seem to translate to a Mazda/Ford advantage).

I've had mine for almost 5 months and logged 15,000 kms on it, about 3,000 offroad on really boulder-strewn riverbanks and lahar riverbeds, and I am just amazed that this SUV was built by Kia. Fit and finish are great, interior and exterior looks are tops. While the Patrol and the Pajero may be more stable (primarily because of its size), the Sorento's compact size and lower center of gravity makes it more nimble and confident during high speed maneuvers on the highway.

In short, the Sorento is a compact SUV with mid-size SUV specs. At compact SUV prices, you couldn't go wrong, IF you're looking for a real SUV, not a family hauler disguised as one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts