Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased sorento xse in sport blue ,love the car.my insurance company wouldnt insure because immobiser wasnt thatcham approved.the kia dealership has upgraded the immobiser f,o,c to a thatcham cat 2 approved has any body else had this experience. :p

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
This is just another example of the sort of crap we have to put up with in this rip-off crazy country. When I changed my insurance over from my last Trooper, I specifically questioned my insurers as to whether or not they were Thatcham obsessives. They were not in the least concerned. They were well aware of the Sorento and its newness on the scene as well as the fact that the immobilising system is comprehensive and total.
When the insurance was renewed, the annual premium was rather less than for the Trooper and with no demands whatsoever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Certainly had to have an alarm fitted but opted for the Tracker as well. Insurance was much lower as a result, approx 20% reduction. Problem is that 4WD vehicles are loved by certain sections of the community and are a thief magnet as a result.

I insured for the first time through the NFU (I'm not a farmer) and they came up with a really competitive quote.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Although the Tracker system sounds like the perfect retreival system for stolen vehicles, just ask yourself this...

Generally, if a car is stolen there is damage of some description to the vehicle. Be it damage to the locks/door. Maybe damage to the bodywork or worse case scenario the vehicle requires £1000s of repairs as the result of a collision.

If you have a Tracker fitted, the vehicle is recovered, the repairs are fixed at the expense of your insurance company and your premium goes up next year as a result (presuming it's not protected).

So who is the winner in this situation?

You ???? - having paid out more to have the tracker fitted and the result of a higher premium the following year? Plus the knowledge that your vehicle has been violated.

Or....

The Insurance company ???? - who has paid out far less than they would have if the vehicle was never retrieved and still bumps up your insurance premium whilst offering only 5% (approx.) off the price of your cover in the first place!!

I'm cynical, because that's what happened to me a few years back. Didn't bother having one fitted after that experience, and before you ask, the insurance company has a little red phone!!

Sorry, gone off topic a bit there. Not had an issue insuring the Sorento, and premium has not be any higher as a result of the immoboliser not being thatcham approved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts