Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2018 on 5/16/20. Ebony Black.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "professional" reviews, youtube reviews and the like, unanimously have declared that the 2.4L is "underpowered" for the 2016+ Sorento. I know many users have said the 2.4 is good for the Sorento, but that is usually in the context of a pre-2016 model, and they have been changes at 2016 I believe.

Is there a difference in performance for the 2.4 and V6 for these later generations? Specifically, I am looking to buy a lower mileage 2016-2017 model (leaning to AWD because of my work and I might need it in inclimate weather)
And can anyone comment on reliability? I have spoken to a couple former import mechanics, and they also unanimously say to to get the V6. I do mixed driving, and I want to to go to 250K miles.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
485 Posts
I bought my V6 because I had driven a good friends 2017 2.4L and found it under powered for my needs and by quite a bit in my opinion. I've not regretted the V6 for a minute from fuel economy to power, smoothness, quietness and so far as reliable as a rock.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
I test drove a Hyundai Santa Fe with the same 2.4L engine, and found it to be pretty slow. It should be okay for around the town driving, but would struggle on highway ramps, and whenever quick acceleration was needed. I imagine a Sorento which is of similar size (slightly bigger if anything) would be the same story. So glad I got the V6 in mine.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
78 Posts
I had a 2015 Optima EX 2.4L that I felt was under powered, so I got the V6 when I bought my Sorento. It is a must have should you need to do any towing.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
I got the 2.4, it is spunky imo and moves quickly "enough". I am a pedal to the metal guy so red line doesn't bother me to get up to speed. I do regret it though as I have the desire to get a small pop up tent trailer and The tow capacity is so freaking low. I wish I got the v6 or turbo.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Remember this....There is no replacement for displacement!
Nuff said!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 2.4 EX and bought it because it was a prior rental and got it for lot cheaper than V6. I suggest drive both and compare, you will find V6 much quieter than 2.4 and V6 EX has more options compared to 2.4 EX.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento AWD V6 EX-Sangria with stone beige leather
32 Posts
I bought a new 2011 Optima EX with a 2.4 in 2011. After 75,000+ trouble free miles I traded it for a 2016 Honda CRV EX-L AWD. The CRV had 65,000 miles on it with a couple of small issues that Honda was unable to resolve so I traded it for a 2019 V6 EX AWD Sorento. So far, the fuel mileage penalty has been two to three MPG but it is well worth it. The additional 100HP, smoothness of a V6 over a 4 and the additional towing capacity (just in case) makes me glad I made the decision.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
313 Posts
I have the 2.4 and I think it has plenty of power for what it is. I have no issues merging onto the highway and I even live in a mountainous area. I think runs a lot better than some other 4cyl engines out there. However, if I had it to do over, I would go with the V6 because it is quieter and doesn't have the known issues/recalls that some of the 2.4's are having.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
52 Posts
I've had zero issues with the 2.4. more than enough power to tow my 2000lb camping trailer, and no problems accelerating rapidly... I can leave cars far behind in me if I choose to. I've taken it through the steep mountains without issue. No issues quickly reaching 100 MPH.

It's not a V6, but seriously, if someone thinks the 195HP is underpowered, then they are just used to V6 power, or have lemon. Yea you cant compare one to the other without saying the V6 is the better option, but and that's reflected in the price, but I'd have a hard time complaining about lack of power with 2.4L.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
485 Posts
Also, what from what I can tell from various venues selling used cars, the V6 seems to retain its value much better than the I-4. I think part of that is that the I-4 was the choice of rental fleets so perhaps more on the market at less than market pricing and the 4 banger has had some issues that are now fairly well known, especially with the latest "catching on fire" recall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also, what from what I can tell from various venues selling used cars, the V6 seems to retain its value much better than the I-4. I think part of that is that the I-4 was the choice of rental fleets so perhaps more on the market at less than market pricing and the 4 banger has had some issues that are now fairly well known, especially with the latest "catching on fire" recall.
Recently, I was searching for a 2019 V6 AWD and I found several at Hertz priced in the $17,000-$18,000 range and they were all LX. I intended on buying one of them but they all had minor cosmetic issues and since 4 of my last 5 vehicles had leather seats, I didn't like the cloth seats and I wanted something at least as nice as I was driving. I had about given up until I ran across a like new 2019 EX AWD with 16,000 miles on it 130 miles from me that was priced at clean trade-in. I drove through the mountains to Waynesville, NC (near Asheville) and traded for it (they were shocked that someone would drive 130 miles to trade a Honda for a Kia). I paid the difference between clean trade-in and clean trade-in.

Since I had trouble finding a EX, I did a search of the dealers within 100 miles to me to see what they had in stock. I found that the EX is very rare as are the SX. They great majority are the LX and very few of them has a V6. If you go to a Kia dealership near me, at least 90% of their stock will be the LX with about 1/3 or less of them being AWD.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
Since I had trouble finding a EX, I did a search of the dealers within 100 miles to me to see what they had in stock. I found that the EX is very rare as are the SX. They great majority are the LX and very few of them has a V6. If you go to a Kia dealership near me, at least 90% of their stock will be the LX with about 1/3 or less of them being AWD.
Yeah, I noticed this as well. Just a search on auto-trader shows several other vehicles in similar size/class, such as the Toyota Highlander/Nissan Murano/Ford Edge/etc. sell a large percentage of loaded models. However, Sorento EX/SX/SXLs are much rarer, maybe 10-15% only, and the rest are L/LX. For 2020, the SXL trim itself was discontinued, perhaps to avoid competition with the new Telluride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I noticed this as well. Just a search on auto-trader shows several other vehicles in similar size/class, such as the Toyota Highlander/Nissan Murano/Ford Edge/etc. sell a large percentage of loaded models. However, Sorento EX/SX/SXLs are much rarer, maybe 10-15% only, and the rest are L/LX. For 2020, the SXL trim itself was discontinued, perhaps to avoid competition with the new Telluride.
I think you're right. If I were buying new, I would be looking at the Telluride and the Palisade. It would be hard for me to pay as much or more for a Sorento compared to the cost of the new kids on the block.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
47 Posts
I've had zero issues with the 2.4. more than enough power to tow my 2000lb camping trailer, and no problems accelerating rapidly... I can leave cars far behind in me if I choose to. I've taken it through the steep mountains without issue. No issues quickly reaching 100 MPH.

It's not a V6, but seriously, if someone thinks the 195HP is underpowered, then they are just used to V6 power, or have lemon. Yea you cant compare one to the other without saying the V6 is the better option, but and that's reflected in the price, but I'd have a hard time complaining about lack of power with 2.4L.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I totally agree with the above opinion - other than I've never towed with ours. I'm not doubting the claim, but since I haven't towed, I can't speak to it directly.

That said, our 2.4L AWD will run 80+ mph all day long, and had no problems navigating the Smoky Mountains with 4 adults and gear in the car.

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,233 Posts
There's mountains .. and there's mountains.
If you get out west where there's the steep hills PLUS a lack of air, it starts to show up quickly. The altitude impacts both 2.4 and 3.3, just that the 3.3 has enough oomph leftover to get it done pretty nicely.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
There's mountains .. and there's mountains.
If you get out west where there's the steep hills PLUS a lack of air, it starts to show up quickly. The altitude impacts both 2.4 and 3.3, just that the 3.3 has enough oomph leftover to get it done pretty nicely.
I havnt tried any high elevation. But I've taken mine with 4 adults (including me) and two small children up to a small town that's all up hill winding mountain roads (maybe 4-4500ft elev) and it handled it just fine. I mean it had to drive in a lower gear of course but it got it done.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts