Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I recently purchased a new Sorento diesel. Have now done 4,000 kms and it just gets better. No faults and seems to be a very nice and refined vehicle compared to the Jeep Cherokee diesel that I traded.
My question - on taking delivery of the Sorento I took it to my local tyre dealer to see what alternnatives were available besides the kumho tyres that it came on.
I was looking for a compromise cross country/road style and certainly wanted something more agressive than the standards.
He had a quick look and said that due to plastic inner guards, any tyre with an agressive tread made the road noise too intrusive. He said that they had put a set of moderately treaded tyres on another Sorento and the owner brought it back in and had them removed - they fit them back only when going X-country.
I am keen to hear any comments/experiences?
Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you please state the exact Kumhos model your Sorento has?

I got my Sorento with the Kumho 798 I replaced them after 5,000 KM for Dunlop ATs.

I could not feel the difference in noise between the tyres.

The main question is what are you going to do with your Sorento? If only on road then keep the tyres (if its not the 798). If you plan to adventure off road then a set of ATs is a must.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ilan
Yes my tyres are the Kumho 798's.
My running is probably 85% on road and balance off road. I had a very good compromise set of Michelins on my previous Jeep and they were not at all noisy but unfortunately my local tyre man says that they dont make them in the correct size for the Sorento

·
Registered
153 Posts
Graham,

I really had bad experience with the Kumho’s 798 off roading.

You can read the story here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/680114/2

Try to stick with the Kumho’s until they will give up. Then replace.

My Dunlop’s are not so great on wet roads, you can try bridgestone AT.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Wow, the 798's come stock on the Sedona. I'm not even sure I've seen a Sorento without the Michelins, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
KiaMech,

The 798 is a POS, Kumho did not introduce the tyre in the USA with the Sorento.

KIA pushed them into "undeveloped" markets. I think that Kumho stopped selling them and it was replaced with the KL11 tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts