Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im new at this so bear with me.

i just got my 2004 sorento 3.5 4x4 and i want to modify it performance wise you know engine and stuff.
i have been searching the web but all i found were german web sites.
can any one help me in finding performance parts in the us. thanx. :57:

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
There isnt too much out there for the Sorento performace wise. I have had my Sorento since May of 04. I have been a member in some of the Kia websites since then and have not come accross anything yet.
Got any pics of your Sorento??
Welcome to the site! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the welcome, i guess that i will have to fabricate something my self although custom stuff are not cheap :( .
will do for those pic's

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am located in the UK and got a tuning kit for the 04 Sorento 2.5 Diesel XS Auto. The improvement of the kit is great, I can now at least trail an X5.. earlier I didn't even see his rear lights. MPG's gone like mad though :) due to my foot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am curious on what is in the tuning kit that makes the engine more powerful considering that the diesel engine is already turbocharged. Does it have anything to do with increasing the boost pressure of the turbocharger?

Will it not affect the warranty of the vehicle?

Also, have you tried driving at normal speeds to check if you can get the same mileage prior to installing the tuning kit?

How much did the tuning kit cost you? Is it made by KIA or by an after market manufacturer?

Is it something that a weekend mechanic can install by himself? About how long does it take to install? If I decide to remove the tuning kit in the future, is it as simple as unbolting it?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Obviously any tuning kit in any shape or form is NOT warranted by KIA nor is it made/ supported by them. There are too many advantages with a tuning kit to mention but a few would be a smoother ride, sharper reactions and much more responsive acceleration.

There are different units available some will require a change in the ECU box whilst others are of the 'plug and play' type. You want the latter as it can easily be removed before a service thus avoiding any problems with warranty etc. You are adviced to report any tuning to your insurance company but not necessary. Plug-in units are better than chips because they are easy to fit and remove by virtually anyone. Your dealer will never know it's chipped and the unit can easily be sold if you sell your car.

I will not go into details if a tuning kit will make the engine more powerful. Of course it will increase the BHP's! Hence a tuning kit exists... A modern diesel engine is capable of alot more than the official figures.

A 'tuning kit' module contain a digital microprocessor. This 'chip' intercepts the fuelling signals being sent from the ECU to the fuel pump and digitises the signal (i.e. converts it to a number). It then uses this converted value to 'look up' the new output signal value from the pre-programmed fuel map inside the Power Box, which is based on the half and full throttle fuel map from the original ECU.

The increase can vary from 25-35 BHPs. The NM increase 45+.

Depending on what you choose the price can be £380-£600. There is usually an engine warranty with the tuning kit. You should be able to install most of the kits in 20 minutes (easy). You are meant to get more MPG's but I don't. Likely because I 'race' more now than before the change.

You don't bolt anything to the car, just a matter of cable plugins.

Do some search on Google or Yahoo for 'diesel tuning'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI everybody,!!!
I've been following your forum from a long time and it' s quite interesting so i've decided to finally log in.
I from western Spain, a region called Extremadura, and I have got a Sorento model EX, although in Europe the model and available equipment and options may vary from country to country, FOR INSTAN. Here you have some pics of my tuned BISHO, as I call her with HID, side mirror blinkers, handcrafted grill, clear tail lites, bitone leather seats, engine boosted up to 165 hp (diesel engine, here gas is rather expensive and most r diesel ones) ;) CU

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts