Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month i bought my new car a 2.5 crdi Sorento EX2 TOD(torque on demand).
Does anyone know where the TOD control unit is situated in this car(left hand steering wheel)?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It's in the console under the radio. I think there is a sticker on it that even says "TOD module", but I could be wrong.

Just curious, why did you want to know?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That's a good idea, but the signal between the TOD module and the magnetic clutch is on a duty-cycle. The "invention" he has created is not. I'm not 100% sure, but he may end up burning up the coil in the magnetic clutch down the road since it's not designed to operate that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked up in books related to electronics to find out about Pulse width modulation(PWM).
KiaMech you claim that there will be possible rise in the temperature of the solenoid inside the BorgWarner transfer case.
OK I agree that thr microprocessor in the TOD unit is designed to send digital signals based on duty cycle.
For the case of Sorento TCCM unit transfer a variable percentage of engine torque to the front axle (0% to 50%) by means of a PWM (Pulse Widht Modulation) of 50Hhz (cycles per second), with a maximum duty cycle of 88%.
So it was easier for them to use PWM because they can take the signals from front and rear shaft sensors located in the transfer case and feed the TOD unit.The output has a frequency modulation of 50 Hz,with 88% of 13.6 v of battery,that is 12v when "locking the central differential".
If you read here
http://www2.clubterracan.net/problema_tod_...acan%20Full.htm
these people made experiment and discovered that after 1 hour of using 12v the rise of the temperature in solenoid was not significant at all.
I think there is no risk at all and that is why KIA and HYUNDAI of Spain accepted the fault and constructed a similar blockade.
Besides BorgWarner claim that their transfer case has this possibility but it was decision of KIA to program the microprocessor in this way.
I am waiting for your opinions
thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way KiaMech the TOD unit is not under the audio unit ,it is not under the seats etc.Under the audio is the ETACS unit.
I can not find it anywhere.
Does anyone know where it is?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

You're right about the frequency and duty-cycle. For some reason I was thinking the duty cycle was 50%, and doubling that could cause damage. There's not much of a risk of damage going from 88% to 100%. The solenoid isn't the part I was worried about, it was the magnetic clutch.

I wish I was able to get my hands on some information about what Kia and Hyundai did to construct an add-on box. In the states, if you want to go 4-wheeling in a Sorento, you would buy the EST version. This is probably why no one here is complaining.

Where did you see that Kia and Hyundai "accepted the fault"? Anywhere besides on that forum?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KiaMech thanks for the reply.
if you read the forum www.clubterracan.net you will see that Hyundai accepted it.
Of course they speak about Hyundai Terracan,but the following cars use the same transfer case:sorento ,terracan,Rexton Sangyong.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'm looking for a place other than that forum to read this. I've seen a lot of people start a lot of rumors and I like to verify the source so that I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Thought we had this one sorted but apparently not !!! I've talked to Kia New Zealand and they've talked to Kia Korea (all today) and they're suggesting it's a bit of a non-event, possibly only in manuals (not auto) and that they're "looking at it" in Spain only and that if anything transpires they'll let us know.

I thought the tests KiaMech did proved that it was all OK, now I'm just confused !!!!

Derek

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
He's wants to have the ability to lock it solid, like the EST system. Remember that is an option for other models that use the same transfer case? Basically, he plans on installing that option.

I'm so glad we get the option to have the EST system in the states. I love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts