Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gals/guys,

What is the biggest tire size you can put on your wheels if you were to keep the original OEM rim? That is, if I want to keep the 18", what's the largest section width and aspect ratio that I could get in order to fit the 18" rim? Many thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX 4cyl, 2013 Veloster Turbo
14 Posts
You can go to discounttire.com and plug in your vehicle and they will show you lots of options ;-)

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can go to discounttire.com and plug in your vehicle and they will show you lots of options ;-)
Hey thanks! So it looks to me I can go from OEM 235/60/18 to 275/60/18 without any major issue. This will give me a wider tire section width apparently.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
That's almost 2" wider than the standard tire. You might have rubbing issues and have a really fat bulge on the stock rim. Your speedo would also be about 6.5% too slow due to the larger circumference of the tire. You can also expect a pretty noticeable negative impact on gas mileage due to the significant increase in contact patch size by the larger tires (if that matters to you).

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
SXSorento

The original 235/60-18 tires have an outside diameter of 29.1" You need to find another 18" tire that is very close to this 29" O.D. and, as Sauron says, is not so wide that it rubs on parts under the fender, plus is rated for the 7" wide rims. 255/55-18 is good for the O.D.--you'd have to check the rub. They are rated for rim widths from 7" (which we have) to 9".

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's almost 2" wider than the standard tire. You might have rubbing issues and have a really fat bulge on the stock rim. Your speedo would also be about 6.5% too slow due to the larger circumference of the tire. You can also expect a pretty noticeable negative impact on gas mileage due to the significant increase in contact patch size by the larger tires (if that matters to you).

Best,
Sauron, thanks for the info. Do you have other tire sizes used or you're just using the OEM? Also, I went on discounttire.com and used their tire calculator and a couple of possibilities are either 275/55/18 or 285/50/18 presented. I would like to have a balance between fuel econ and handling in terms of grip on the pavement to increase stability...not sure if those 2 above specs are good to go.

·
Registered
Sorento SX; 07 BMW 335i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SXSorento

The original 235/60-18 tires have an outside diameter of 29.1" You need to find another 18" tire that is very close to this 29" O.D. and, as Sauron says, is not so wide that it rubs on parts under the fender, plus is rated for the 7" wide rims. 255/55-18 is good for the O.D.--you'd have to check the rub. They are rated for rim widths from 7" (which we have) to 9".
KLS, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX 4cyl, 2013 Veloster Turbo
14 Posts
According to Discount's site for the 18" wheels - a 245/60 is ok, a 255/55, then it jumps to a 285/50. I do not see a 275/60 listed for what its worth.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
According to Discount's site for the 18" wheels - a 245/60 is ok, a 255/55, then it jumps to a 285/50. I do not see a 275/60 listed for what its worth.
The 285/50-18 won't fit right on a 7" wide rim. It is listed for 8" to 10" wide rims.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sauron, thanks for the info. Do you have other tire sizes used or you're just using the OEM? Also, I went on discounttire.com and used their tire calculator and a couple of possibilities are either 275/55/18 or 285/50/18 presented. I would like to have a balance between fuel econ and handling in terms of grip on the pavement to increase stability...not sure if those 2 above specs are good to go.
A fatter tire is going to reduce fuel economy and a taller tire (the size you mentioned is both fatter and taller) is going to handle worse. Not much of a balance there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your avaitar says you live in San Diego, so I'm pretty sure that when you say you want more grip, you're not referring to "snow" grip. Discounting that, I'm guessing you want more grip for wet/dry handling. While it may seem like a good idea at first, consider the sorento has a high cg and wants to tip over. More grip, and she might just do that.

Nevertheless, you want it to "handle like it's on rails", you don't want to touch the outside diameter of the tire. All that will do is give you an overdrive, which will reduce breaking ability, reduce acceleration, reduce gas mileage, increase wear on transmission bands/cutches, and could rub your fenders.

You want increased width. Now, there's only so far you can go with width before it won't fit right on the rim. Also, you have to "take up" the extra height caused by the same sidewall height, by going down on aspect ratio.

E.g. P235/60R18 to P2XX/50R18

P255/55R18 is the only size I can find that would work. It is a very expensive size as well. Being that it is half an inch fatter on each side of the widest point (Sidewall bulge) it may or may not rub on suspension items.

tirerack.com is going to have a bigger variety than discountire.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts