Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX FWD, 2014 Soul !
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have extolled the virtues of my Sorento to anyone who will listen. Our 2011 lease was up, we definitely wanted another one and all that was available in March were the SX models. I now see the SXL's are on the road, and I had a short lived twinge of jealousy as I pulled up next to one today.

We also have an Optima, and I am a big fan of Kias for the same reason most people are - high quality vehicles loaded with content resulting in an excellent value.

But I don't get the SXL model. For $3000 you get upgraded leather, upgraded wheels, xenon headlights, heated 2nd row seats and a heated steering wheel. The way I see it, these options would equate to about $1500-$2000 at individual retail in most cars, less in a "package". The headlights are nice, and the heated steering wheel is more useful than I thought (got one in the Optima), but as a whole the upgrades don't seem to be game changers.

Can someone help me understand? SXL owners - sell me!:confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
We were deciding between a 2014 SX and SXL. I think we are going with the SX because the we didn't see paying 3k more to get the "nicer" leather, and different wheels.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
We were deciding between a 2014 SX and SXL. I think we are going with the SX because the we didn't see paying 3k more to get the "nicer" leather, and different wheels.
I agree. I went with an SX for the same reasons. Also I strongly prefer the regular SX's wheels over the SXL's chrome/red brake caliper look, it looks slightly tacky to me, but I know everyone's opinions are different. I love the standard SX rim, one of the nicer designs I've seen on an SUV.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
559 Posts
Interesting how Sorento's are packaged in Canada vs the U.S.(all built in West Point Georgia). In Canada there is no SXL, but the SX includes what I would say are the desirable features of the SXL - i.e. the heated steering wheel, heated second row seats and xenon headlights. The "heated" features are of course more desirable in colder climates.
So if you live in northern half of the U.S., you have to get the SXL if you want to get these two "heated" features, but for the most part pay for features you don't want.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX-L, 99 Camry LE, 93 Turbo MR2
30 Posts
In the US, AFAIK, you can't get Limited features on a SX. So if you wanted a heated 2nd row, or a heated steering wheel (+wood styling), or Nappa leather, chrome wheels, red calipers, or even HIDs (+self leveling), you have to get the SXL.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
26 Posts
In the US, AFAIK, you can't get Limited features on a SX. So if you wanted a heated 2nd row, or a heated steering wheel (+wood styling), or Nappa leather, chrome wheels, red calipers, or even HIDs (+self leveling), you have to get the SXL.
This is all true, and its the same reason I did not go for an SXL on my '14. It just wasn't worth it. Nappa leather is very expensive so that is equating for 75% of the cost, and it feels amazing but the problem is if you have kids, or dogs I was very scared with how soft it was it would get damaged more easily than the normal leather. So I stuck with the normal leather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. I went with an SX for the same reasons. Also I strongly prefer the regular SX's wheels over the SXL's chrome/red brake caliper look, it looks slightly tacky to me, but I know everyone's opinions are different. I love the standard SX rim, one of the nicer designs I've seen on an SUV.
Exactly! This is my reasoning as well. The chrome rims look tacky/cheap to me and the red calipers don't make any sense. Its not like the brakes are a brand name like Brembo so why are they red?

Not to mention the upgrades are so few and minor it made no sense to me to add 3k to an already spectacular vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts
Well I'm an SXL owner. At first the wheels were not my favorite either. Especially on the black and titanium colors, which is why I bought the white. They capture the sunlight really good when moving. The Nappa Leather was another reason I bought the SXL. Much softer and with the stitching adds a nice touch. Also during those cold spring days we had, that heated steering wheel was very nice to hold on to! That is one feature I missed from my BMW X3. Trust me I went back and forth between the two as well but when it came down to it, I choose the SXL and very pleased with it.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX AWD
26 Posts
I'm kind of disappointed they dropped the Heated Steering Wheel on the SX from 11'-13' and moved it to the SXL in '14. They had to come up with some way to justify the price, just wish they weren't taking features away from the same model of a previous year. It is really nice in the winter.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Actually, I think a lot of that price is taken up by the HIDs. The headlights themselves are VERY expensive, compared to non HID headlights. Maybe 5x more expensive...

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL AWD 3.3 V6
36 Posts
Hey folks,

I opted for the SXL primarily for the Nappa leather (which is amazing) and the HID head lights.

However, I didn't pay $3k for the package. I don't know why anyone would. I only paid an additional $1200 for the Limited package and another $800 for the third row seating.

So, I think you can argue the cost of the package. But you can't argue the quality!! It's worth every penny!:lol:

So happy! Take care,
Pete

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
66 Posts
I'm kind of wondering where you're coming up with the $3000 price for the Limited. Did you pay sticker price for your SX? Just because that's what KIA asks for those options doesn't mean that it's what you have to pay for those options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I paid $40k even for my SXL. It was fully loaded. The only thing I'm missing is the illumination kit that changes colors... couldn't find one with it. But, overall, I'm happy with it. My nav went out in the first week, though, but it's under warranty, so it's getting fixed. But I wanted the HID headlights.

To be fair, the "self-leveling" feature isn't really a "feature" at all. It's actually a requirement pushed down by the highway association. Because of HID intensity, anything after 2006 with HIDs MUST be self-leveling. So, it's cute that they report it as a feature, when, in reality, they can't have HIDs anymore without it. Aftermarket HIDs won't self-level, which makes them very dangerous for other drivers on the road.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
66 Posts
We paid 35.5 with the illumination kit (which I refused to pay for) for a 2014 SXL. It's all in the deal you negotiate.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL & 2014 Sorento SXL
31 Posts
We traded in our '11 Sorento SX for the '14 SXL and overall love it, My wife loves the heated steering wheel we had on her SX but since they took it from the new SX and made it only on the SXL, and before her '12 Sorento SX she had a Cadillac SX and she missed that nice Napa leather, so we went with the SXL. I love it for the Napa leather, xenon headlights and the larger wheels. The red calipers don't matter to me. We bought the Titanium color and LOVE how it looks.

But 3 weeks in our Napa leather on the drivers seat is starting to wrinkle already on the left bolster edge and I took it in and the service guy said KIA wont do anything about that. Our '12 SX had regular leather and in 2 years showed NO wear but our new ones already is on a much more expensive leather. Not happy with that.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL FWD
3 Posts
Enjoy the features of the SXL and was told by the salesman that it
has additional soundproofing on the doors. Napa leather is comfortable
and with the stitching looks great! Titanium with black interior

1 - 20 of 22 Posts