Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2003 LX Sorento in 4WD low range in the woods turning hard left when it got stuck against a log. The vehicle 'jumped' a few times as the wheels started to spin after forward motion had stopped. When I tried to back up it would not shift out of drive to N (could not move shift lever) Did not want to force it. Shut engine off, still could not move shift lever. Hmm... now I can't get it into N or P to re-start. Jacked up drivers side rear wheel to relieve load on drive train. Still could not move shifter. Jacked up drivers side front wheel. Car fell off jack. (Did not actually get free play in wheel) Tried shift lever again, still stiff but it came out of gear. After re-start and back-up it shifted normally.
Anybody else have a similar problem?
Nick

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It sounds like you "loaded" the drivetrain through the front wheels. Everything was binding, making it impossible to shift the transmission. You couldn't even disengage the front wheels because the transfer case was also binding. If this happened again, there are a few things you could try.

1. Turn the car off, and gently rock the steering wheel side to side and see if that unloads the drivetrain enough to shift it.

2. Turn the car off, push or tow it backwards, or try rocking it.

3. Turn the car off, and bounce the front suspension some while someone else tries to shift it.

I don't wheel that much, so if anyone else has any other ideas, step right up.

The reason for turning the car off, other than safety, is because the engine will just keep everything binding, especially in low gear, and you'll never get ahead.

There is tons of torque to the wheels in low. I watched two 1-ton 2WD vans try to pull out another 1-ton van that was caught in a rut. Full throttle, no wheel slip on either of them, and the van moved about a quarter of an inch. After we had a laugh, I pulled the Sorento up, put it in low, and just nudged the throttle. The van came right out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts