Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing so many Kia service horror stories, I thought I'd take a couple of minutes to offer up my recent situation, which was far from a horror story.

Two Saturdays ago, while driving home from hiking, the Sorento developed a noticeable engine knock. I was almost home, so drove the last few blocks and pulled into my driveway. I immediately shut the car off and (after hearing stories of oil filters not sealing properly) checked the oil level, which turned out to be just fine.

I called the dealer where I bought the car (Kia of Riverside) only to find out the service department was not open on the weekend. Fortunately, that was the only downside to this story.

On Monday morning, I called the dealership and explained the situation. They gave me the toll free phone number for roadside assistance and I arranged to have the car picked up on a flatbed Tuesday morning (at no charge to me.)

I talked with the dealer on Wednesday morning and they told me they were working on the car and would let me know as soon as they found anything out, but it might be a couple of days.

On Friday afternoon they called. The car was ready for pickup. I asked what had happened and what they did to fix the car. They said a metal clip had come loose from the intake (I'm not clear on exactly where the clip came from but think it was on the butterfly valve in the throttle body.) Anyway, the clip came loose, got sucked into the cylinder, wreaked havoc there, scored the cylinder, bent a valve and imbedded itself in the head. To solve the problem the dealer replaced the entire engine: Complete new long-block!

When I went to pick up the car, they had washed and detailed it, and replaced the clock (which had been resetting itself.)

I can't say enough nice things about the way this was handled. Yes, it's pretty frustrating to have your engine blow up at 10,500 miles, but I understand that flukes like this can happen. And the dealer could have gone the cheap way and sleeved the cylinder and replaced the piston and bent valve, but they did the right thing and replaced the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts