Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited Kia Commonwealth and was told that Columbia won't be receiving orders of Picantos and Sorentos (both diesel and gas) until April 05. Customers who have bought Picantos and Sorentos or have deposited an amount as reservation for the units are lined up ready to snap whatever units are available. Some have even reported unscrupulous practice by some salespeople of padding the unit price (obviously the extra money goes to them not to the dealer) so they could "bid" for available units.

I surmise the reason for that is the Sorento has been a hotseller in the US and Korea (gas) and in Europe (diesel). The Picanto was judged no. 1 among 10 subcompacts in the Autocar UK magazine edition (beating Seat, Fiat, Renault, Suzuki, Daewoo, Proton, etc.) and is THE NO. 1 bestseller among subcompacts in Europe.

Obviously Kia Korea (which is the sole manufacturer of these units -- they don't have plants in the US nor Europe) has its hands full and can't meet the demand. In the global scheme of things, the Philippines (Columbian) measly number of units on order will obviously not be the top priority. Hence, the waiting period. It seems like Kia is a victim of its own success.

Kia (Columbian) should also do something about its pricing publicity. In the latest issue of C! magazine, the Picanto and Sorento are still listed at its old prices (P365,000+ for Picanto and P1,380,000 for Sorento) when in fact, they've already jacked up the prices (P445,000 for Picanto manual and P1,520,000 for Sorento gas). Columbian seems to be sleeping on the job, not keeping close tabs with developments in the local market.

Kia has reason to worry, too. Toyota has already unleased the Sorento killer in Thailand in Malaysia. It looks very much like a Sorento and shares almost the same specs, except for the fact that it sits 7 passengers and has fulltime 4WD on offer (as opposed to the Sorento's part-time available here, though the Sorento does have the fulltime 4WD elsewhere). The Toyota Fortuner may be hitting our shores soon, if the Innova were to set the trend.

Kia better haul ass quick before events catch up with its momentum, particularly in the PHilippines where the Sorento's (tiny) early advantage can be easily trampled by the strong Toyota brand. Haul ass Columbian!

For those still waiting for their Sorentos and Picantos, patience, patience. I am sure it will be worth the wait...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Swim@Feb 20 2005, 03:12 AM
Visited Kia Commonwealth and was told that Columbia won't be receiving orders of Picantos and Sorentos (both diesel and gas) until April 05. Customers who have bought Picantos and Sorentos or have deposited an amount as reservation for the units are lined up ready to snap whatever units are available. Some have even reported unscrupulous practice by some salespeople of padding the unit price (obviously the extra money goes to them not to the dealer) so they could "bid" for available units.

I surmise the reason for that is the Sorento has been a hotseller in the US and Korea (gas) and in Europe (diesel). The Picanto was judged no. 1 among 10 subcompacts in the Autocar UK magazine edition (beating Seat, Fiat, Renault, Suzuki, Daewoo, Proton, etc.) and is THE NO. 1 bestseller among subcompacts in Europe.

Obviously Kia Korea (which is the sole manufacturer of these units -- they don't have plants in the US nor Europe) has its hands full and can't meet the demand. In the global scheme of things, the Philippines (Columbian) measly number of units on order will obviously not be the top priority. Hence, the waiting period. It seems like Kia is a victim of its own success.

Kia (Columbian) should also do something about its pricing publicity. In the latest issue of C! magazine, the Picanto and Sorento are still listed at its old prices (P365,000+ for Picanto and P1,380,000 for Sorento) when in fact, they've already jacked up the prices (P445,000 for Picanto manual and P1,520,000 for Sorento gas). Columbian seems to be sleeping on the job, not keeping close tabs with developments in the local market.

Kia has reason to worry, too. Toyota has already unleased the Sorento killer in Thailand in Malaysia. It looks very much like a Sorento and shares almost the same specs, except for the fact that it sits 7 passengers and has fulltime 4WD on offer (as opposed to the Sorento's part-time available here, though the Sorento does have the fulltime 4WD elsewhere). The Toyota Fortuner may be hitting our shores soon, if the Innova were to set the trend.

Kia better haul ass quick before events catch up with its momentum, particularly in the PHilippines where the Sorento's (tiny) early advantage can be easily trampled by the strong Toyota brand. Haul ass Columbian!

For those still waiting for their Sorentos and Picantos, patience, patience. I am sure it will be worth the wait...
that's very good of u swim to have inform those who are in the waiting list like me..My dealer promised not to increase the price, P375T for the manual here in CDO but i doubt it..U said P445T, that's roughly P70T difference plus the 'agony' of waiting and waiting..Absolutely unfair. Anyway, if that is or will be the case, i think opting for another brand is the better recourse, isn't it?..What about Honda CT?..The price is not that big, P545T including LTO, freight, etc. etc.. <_< :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That, unfortunately, is the tragedy of Kia's success. Now we have customers for Kia Picanto, Sorento, Rio and there are none in stock (at least in this part of the world). Obviously, most customers will not wait, and will consider other brands. Yes, Honda's City and Jazz are, obviously, good alternatives. So is the Hyundai Matrix. There's a whole slew of options.

On the other hand, the Kia guys here are saying that nobody can lock in the prices of the Kia models. Don't believe your dealer when he says he'll keep the prices at the old rate.

Did you know that the Picanto made it as the best value in the Philippines' first Car of the year awards? It may be worth the wait...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just visited Kia Signet for my Sorento's 25,000km checkup. Found out some really incredible things about the Sorento:

1. Spark plugs do not get replaced until 45,000kms. They checked my Sorento's and found it in fine shape. Amazing! In my 93 Accord, the manual says to replace the plugs every 5,000 kms.

2. They checked my disc brakes (all 4 of them) and found them still thick and not needing replacement. Incredible! 25,000kms (9 months) and brakes good for another 25,0000? Wow!

3. Air Filter was checked; said they were still quite clean and didn't need to be replaced, either. Wonderful!

4. Air Con Filter (I didn't know there was such a thing -- at least, in my other vehicles, there was no such thing: Land Cruiser, Starex, Lancer, Accord, 323) didn't need to be taken down for cleaning, yet. Delightful!

5. They did chang the oil (my 3rd oil change), the oil filter (cost: P320, my 3rd as well). Cost per visit (3 visits so far): about P3,000, including the replacement oil. Outstanding!

Bong Navarro (not the stupid comedian or singer or whoever that apparition is on TV) -- this Bong Navarro is the chief mechanic at Signet -- was asking me if I had any problems. I said there wasn't even a squeak to complain about. I drive my Sorento rugged over realy bad roads (tried the Quirino highway lately?) and mountain trails (carabao tracks of mud pits and precarious inclines -- we visit some property there, in case you wanted to know why) and the cabin is as quiet as a mausoleum.

Bong remarked over how the Sorento is bad for business because they hardly get any repair jobs for them. Haha!

As an aside, I looked into their showroom and the salespeople were staring into the empty space. Why? Because Sorento's and Picantos are still unavailable. The demand in the US and Europe for both is soaring, and, obviously, Kia is having a hard time filling in these orders. For the very small markets like the Philippines, we are low on the priority list.

Too bad, Kia Philipines (Columbian?) could have made a killing from Sorento and Picanto sales. Just when they have hit on a product that could sell well, they run into problems with supply. Tsk! tsk!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts