Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm about to put money down on an '04 Sorento 2.5 CRDi EX. I love these cars, and they seem to get better with age. The only thing for me is the slightly choppy ride in back. It's going to be used 99.9% of the time on road - I know, but I like the solidiy of the thing as well as the great fuel economy - there's no other combination of this value. So while I've hear about OME providing about 1.5" inch total lift + improved ride, I'm not sure I want the extra height. Is there a road-going upgrade for softer/more compliant ride that doesn't increase the ride height?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Me Too

I've just bought an 04 Sorento XS here in the UK and I am SO impressed with 90% of the machine, but 'Iwantone' has hit on the only weakness I have found (and i knew about it beforehand so i'm not really moaning)

The ride is fine on smooth roads, but it jiggles and copes very badly with bumps of any size. I too will only be using it on road, and for trailing my small yacht (1600kg). I suspect the rear shock absorbers and possibly the springs are just not tuned right, and could be so much better. I don't want it raised or lowered.

Does anyone know of a Spring Shock Absorber combination that IMPROVES the ride smoothness without losing the roadholding/handling. It would make this vehicle just about perfect in its peer group if there was. I gather the revised 2007 Sorento has a better ride. I'd be interested to hear from a new owner or from a KIA representative a) If it is better riding? b) How they have done it? c) Will it retrofit to older models?

Alfie 168

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Alfie, the answer to
(b) spring and damper rates plus alignment angles using revised components. (Local dealer showed me some Kia documents including pictures of revised components.)
(c) Not easily if at all - according to some threads the rear chassis rails are set further apart, but not sure if that relates to suspension.

Pre-facelift UK models have self-levelling rear shocks which apparently are not fitted post facelift.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for that Gee6, I suspected as much. Even so, its tempting to think that a pair of Koni yellow adjustable shockers on the back would improve matters somewhat. I've looked on a few sites and can't find a listing for Konis and the Sorento. They certainly improved the ride/body control on my Alfa thats for sure!

Alfie 168

1 - 4 of 4 Posts