Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Sorento Y2022 MQ4 was subject to a recall notice for DCT gear shift logic improvement.

The recall notice states that due to variations in production, a crack may develop in the PCB for the transmission electric oil pump. The oil pump may fail and this might cause a serious crash.

I had my car at my KIA dealer today and they told me they updated the transmission software and bled the transmission.

Questions:
How does this fix a possible cracked printed circuit board?
How does updating software and bleeding the transmission fix a cracked PCB?
Shouldn't the PCB be replaced?

· Registered
2021, Kia, Sorrento GT-Line, 2.2DT, DCT
3 Posts
Hi,

My Sorento Y2022 MQ4 was subject to a recall notice for DCT gear shift logic improvement.

The recall notice states that due to variations in production, a crack may develop in the PCB for the transmission electric oil pump. The oil pump may fail and this might cause a serious crash.

I had my car at my KIA dealer today and they told me they updated the transmission software and bled the transmission.

Questions:
I am very wondering the same thing. I am struggling to get mine booked in anytime within the next month.

Tried 4 dealers within reasonable driving distance without luck. One told me that they couldn't do it until March at the earliest.

I escalated to Head Office and this is the response;

Thank you for the email.

I can confirm your vehicle is part of the recall.

As you haven’t received your recall letter yet, the below is what it states (on the letter) to do as a next step:

Owners should contact their nearest Kia Dealership to arrange for an inspection and if necessary, repair of the vehicle, free of charge.

You will need to confirm with a Kia dealer and confirm the earliest availability they can book you in for this Recall.

Any questions please let me know.

Thank you,

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an email into KIA. we’ll see what that brings. It took me two weeks to get into my dealer. Who’s liable if the transmission fails and there are injuries. These repairs should be an immediate priority. Not good enough KIA.

· Registered
3 Posts
Not good enough KIA.
That was my response to them, word for word. With all of the transmission failures reported over the past 18 months, every drive has been an anxiety filled adventure that I was willing to take.

However, now that there is an Official Recall I will park it and await my booking on the 6th of Feb but keep pestering the local dealers for an earlier booking.

· Registered
2012 2012 Optima SX + GWP, 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
64 Posts
Yeh. Still need an answer on the cracked PCB thing. Don’t see how updating software and bleeding the transmission system fixes that.
As an Electrical Engineer, I can tell you that there is no repair possible for a cracked PCB, only replacement - which is what the dealership will do if deemed necessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: tacthecat

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an Electrical Engineer, I can tell you that there is no repair possible for a cracked PCB, only replacement - which is what the dealership will do if deemed necessary.
I'm an electronics and computer engineer. I'm wanting confirmation that inspection of the PCB was part of the recall procedure. Apparently it's not or the dealer wasn't aware of it. I can think of only one way a software update might prevent cracking of the PCB. I doubt KIA would do it however.

· Registered
'22 Sorento SX-P, X-Line 2.5t, Wolf Gray
597 Posts
Yeh. Still need an answer on the cracked PCB thing. Don’t see how updating software and bleeding the transmission system fixes that.
I'm an electronics and computer engineer. I'm wanting confirmation that inspection of the PCB was part of the recall procedure. Apparently it's not or the dealer wasn't aware of it. I can think of only one way a software update might prevent cracking of the PCB. I doubt KIA would do it however.
Well, seems like we have a small fraternity building here -- I too am an electrical engineer, gainfully retired :)
I cannot speak for what is happening in other countries/continents, but here in the USA, SC250 essentially does two things:
1. KIA will inspect and, if necessary, replace the transmission -- this will happen if certain codes are thrown and displayed
(if those codes are displayed, it is assumed that the pc board within the transmission oil pump has a defective - i.e., cracked - solder joint)
2. KIA will reprogram the transmission control unit

Item#2 will happen during the recall regardless of what they find with Item#1

· Registered
'22 Sorento SX-P, X-Line 2.5t, Wolf Gray
597 Posts
Questions:
Unfortunately, the PCB - within the oil pump, which inturn is within the transmission - cannot be accessed to simply be replaced. Therefore, if diagnosed, the entire transmission gets replaced.
My recall (SC250) makes no reference to a "bleeding of the transmission".

· Registered
Considering a 2023 Elantra N 8-DCT
2 Posts
The "inspection" is nothing more than seeing if any DCT codes are present and if the P1C2D03 code is displayed then the transmission will (eventually) be replaced. Dealt with "bad solder joints" in a past life (another EE, retired Rocket Scientist), they don't fix themselves but can be intermittant or fail permantly at any time due to heat, vibration, or thermal shock.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I'm still trying to get from KIA dealer what they actually did. Desk staff said, updated software and bled transmission. No mention of checking for possible PCB issue.

· Registered
Considering a 2023 Elantra N 8-DCT
2 Posts
If they correctly did the Recall notice procedure, it's part of the process. Paperwork should list the procedure number, you can "Google" the details.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I'm still trying to get from KIA dealer what they actually did. Desk staff said, updated software and bled transmission. No mention of checking for possible PCB issue.
I had mine done today. In chatting to the guys on the shop floor it appeared that the recall is nothing more than a fact finding mission. They check for codes and if all is OK, they push through the software updates and what not, then you are on your way.

If not, all of the vehicle details are recorded and input into the system. It seems that from there a transmission replacement is ordered and the work is performed at a later date. There were 6 Sorentos in for the recall today and we were all out of there inside of 2 hours.

The dealership I attended has sold plenty of DCT Sorentos and openly confirmed that they have had 3 come in for Transmission Replacement. I asked if they thought it was associated to a build period and the answer was 'Nah mate, first one was a Dec 20 build and the others were 21 builds'.

Make of it what you will. Fingers crossed there are many, many more years of trouble free driving ahead.

(Edit) Missed a bit. The software change apparently lessens the risk of a 'dead stop' and instead allows a more progressive slow down into limp home mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts