Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken my diesel Sorento into heavy sand and have experienced 2 issues which I believe should not happen.

1) As the air filter takes air from the wheel arch area , the engine sucks an inordinate amount of sand into the filter , which then clogs up. Obviously it has to be carefully cleaned out --- but I suggest that there should be another choice of air ingress for the engine. A snorkel would be ideal, but for limited sand driving, this is impractical. Any ideas or have there been solutions from other global arenas?

2) Heavy sand driving causes sand ingress into the gearbox bellhousing obviously thro the foam block at the bellhousing base. That causes a heat buildup and the sensor (on the b housing) for fuel ignition off the flywheel (targetwheel) then melts and with sand erosion the engine stops as there is no sensor left. This can and has caught me out in an inaccessible area , suffering the shame of having to be towed out. As these vehicles are designed for 4x4 usage -- this is a poor design point. Anyone aware of solutions , either KIA originated or individualisticaly solved?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I drove the Sorento in Sand few times, never encountered the problems you mentioned.

Gearbox heating can happen if you drive incorrectly in sand, please comment if you did the following:
1. Did you deflate the tires to 12-15 PSI?
2. Did you put the Sorento into 4 low?

I enjoyed driving in sand with my Sorento.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi Tiger

Is your's an auto or manual gearbox ? Seems incredible that sand could gain access like that in any case ? I don't quite get the bit about ignition timing either, if you've got a diesel what ignition timing ? I'm confused.

Cheers

Derek :blush:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts