Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone

Just finished installing my hitch with the hitch carrier on the Sorento as I plan on taking the kids on a long drive and need the extra space in the back to haul their 3 strollers.

I did order an extender with a 6 inch rise also to push it a bit away from the tail gate so i can open it without having to move the carrier and also to elevate it a bit away from the exhaust.

I did alot of shopping around and ended up with the Apex carrier for $150-160 with a 500 pound rating.

Any and all feedback is welcome 馃槉

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice, but be cautious if you鈥檙e assuming a 500 lb weight capacity when using your hitch riser/extender.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-151257.html
You make a valid point. Thank you

I don't intend on going nowhere near 500 pounds. I would say 100 to 150 pounds max is about it.

These cars have virtually no trunk space when the 3rd row is up. This is why i had to go this route

Registered
Also be careful what you put on the side near the exhaust. I had one of those waterproof bags and the heat from the exhaust melted it. Since you have the sides you might want to slide in a piece of cut plywood just to defect the exhaust heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Also be careful what you put on the side near the exhaust. I had one of those waterproof bags and the heat from the exhaust melted it. Since you have the sides you might want to slide in a piece of cut plywood just to defect the exhaust heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a great suggestion. I will certainly install a piece of plywood to deflect the exhaust heat and fumes from that area

Thank you for bringing it up

Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
i like that carrier. used a buddy's carrier similar to that years ago when i had an '05 grand cherokee (very small cargo area for a midsize suv) and was a big fan.

what hitch receiver did you go with?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i like that carrier. used a buddy's carrier similar to that years ago when i had an '05 grand cherokee (very small cargo area for a midsize suv) and was a big fan.

what hitch receiver did you go with?
I do agree the cargo space is almost non-existent.

I went with the etrailer branded hitch because in my opinion it had the best look. I did not want the glossy finish and this was the one with the matte finish which I like. I have included some photos below

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:

Installed the receiver extender and riser this afternoon along with anti-rattle/wobble clamps and was immediately impressed with the results.

1- it pushed the carrier farther away from and above the exhaust

2- allows me to open the tailgate freely without having to remove the cargo carrier

3- more ground clearance

I have attached a couple of photos.

Any and all feedback is appreciated as always

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Extender looks a lot like the one from Harbor Freight >> Dual Hitch Extender
They have quite a few bits of hitch hardware and carriers available, but the carriers have to be assembled. Then again, that's true for most of them -- shipped flat.
Yes it came flat. Took about 30 minutes to assemble.

As for the hitch extender, I actually picked up mine from Amazon for $40. I do like the one you posted from harbor freight as it has the double posts supporting the top receiver.

The 2 anti-wobble clamps were also from Amazon for $12 each.

I picked up 2 lockable CURT hitch pins from Amazon too. They were around $10 each

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
BJ's / Costco haul in the cargo basket.

I am really enjoying it. It's great for these types of runs 馃憣

You just have to be careful where you park and make sure you don't scrape while backing up. The riser does a great job at maintaining clearance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts