Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I recently put some petrol octane booster in my car to clean injectors, better fuel economy etc filled my tanks up with fuel now when Ive gone back to my car tonight the 'O/D off' orange light is flashing and its blowing some white smoke which is strange because the oil is okay but the transmission oil smells sweet as it should but is browny pink.

I live in North Queensland which is a warm tropical climate, Ive got the 3500L V6 petrol model. Ive done no towing, and always allow the car to warm up to normal temperature before driving. Never used the overdrive feature before either.

I recently had a diganostic test done because a airbag light came on but everything is fine now with regards to the airbag light.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the car has never had a problem before it isnt overheating so I really dont understand why its blowing white smoke and the "O/D off" is coming on. I'am baffelled ive owned the car for a month and abit now. Its not blowing lightly white smoke, its billowing white smoke. Could it be the octane booster doing its thing?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
i have to say this, but you didn't do what this guy did i hope
Bike won't start after using NOS fuel additive : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

read just the first two pages of that forum.
He put in NOS the energy drink, and not NOS the octane booster.
Not sure if its true, but funny!

I would drain the fuel, and get in some 95/98 RON. see what happens.
If it was the 'octane booster' and you drain out the fuel, it should stop.

Or, coolant is entering the cylinders. If so VERY BAD!
If the octane booster did clean the engine it could have unclogged something that was acting to block a cracked head/head gasket/block and now you have water entering your cylinders.

On a personal note i never really trust those octane booster/cleaners.
If the engine runs fine, just put in 98 ron. Keep using it, and you will have a cleaner engine.
With mine, it also uses less fuel on 98. So the 98 actually works out cheaper.
If you just put in 98 once every so often, what the point, you are not cleaning anything!

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,365 Posts
First question I have to ask. Is it smoke or steam?
Smoke will linger and steam disipates rather quickly.(On a cool dry morning it may last a bit longer but way shorter than smoke.) Oil burning is usually light blue smoke. White smoke is usually trans fluid. I don't think our trans rely on vacuum to shift. I believe there are solenoids that are internal.

Next reset the PRT fuse and see if the O/D light resets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts