Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made test drive today new 2014 KIA Sorento EX V6 GDI with touring package:
Sunroof, navigation, folding mirrors, memory for seats, cooled and heated both front seats.
What I should point :
pros:
1) Many new features like blind spot detection, new dash, new uvo, electrically driven trunk
2) Much quieter comparable with my EX - very soft and quiet suspension.
3) Second row seats can move back and forward - nice feature.

cons:
1) On low rpms to me it feels underpowered, like 4 cyl engine. I had to press pedal little bit more to speed up comparable with EX V6 2013
2) Electric steering wheel - feels empty and with no link to road. But very easy to handle ( no feedback control like sport, comfort etc on EX )

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I'm a bit curious about the benefits of the GDI V6. It sports slightly more power, but gas mileage remains the same as the previous generation V6.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as I said, I have not found "more power" with new GDI V6 engine. Even more, it is more sluggish comparable with 2011-13 V6

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
What was the mileage on it? I'm wondering if the transmission was still in adaptive learning mode. Meaning it may be holding lower gears longer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Atleast that's what I hope it is. It would suck if the new GDI is the same, if not slower than the 3.5.

Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,964 Posts
the 3.3L should be a little more peppy than the 3.5L as the 3.3L has 14 more H.P. and 2 lbs more torque and the same 6speed a/t as mentioned time will tell.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say, it depends on engine power profile.
horses power is kind of marketing trick.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Right on! Hard to beat cubics. Local dealer said they would run me when they get a V6 AWD demo with some miles on it. It takes over 3K miles to loosen up KIAs and then add synethic oils. Recent test magazine timed the 2014 at .2secs difference faster to 60mph- really no difference/ within a varance. Though mine, and I believe a few others on this board, have clocked the 2011-2013 V6 AWD up to one sec faster than the test to true 60mph using drag race timer. Its slightly faster than my son's Lexus GS430 with some light performance mods.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
No doubt these things are quick. Off the line and most notably when overtaking people on highways and such. It really pulls you back in your seat.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
I also noticed when I test drove one the first time that it felt a little lacking off the line compared to the 3.5L. Wound out it had more power though, and was smoother throughout the RPM range. The GDI system is also noticeably more quiet than the GDI on the 2.4L.

The SX model has three different steering modes, easily changed with a button right on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX 4T GDI
20 Posts
I too drove a EX V6 3.3. I felt that it was lacking from the start. It too had only a few miles on it. It was quieter than my 2012 V6 and did ride smoother but that be the difference of 12 miles and 24000 miles on mine. Loved the new inst panel/speedometer. Even shows sat channel or radio freq on speedometer. I do dealer transfers for my KIA dealer and am anxious to drive one for a distance. I will report feedback when I do

·
Registered
532 Posts
That gauge cluster is something else...I just saw a video on how it shows the radio stations and stuff. Simply amazing. You don't find LCD gauge clusters like that in many Family Crossovers.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I drove an LX the other day with V6 AWD. Never drove the previous Sorento, drive another Kia (2011 Kia Forte Koup SX) at the moment.

Anyways, I agree with the OP's second point. The electric feeling is very..."different". The ease at which you can turn the wheel is a bit unnerving as you have no feedback. However, it does turn great. I don't think it would ruin the experience for most people, unless you're buying this thing to hit the track, which I would assume no one is.

I found the V6 to be quite peppy and to have quite a lot more power and go than my current car. Further, the pedal isn't quite as touchy, which I like. That is the #1 reason my fuel economy in my Koup is so awful: throttle response. I really liked the heavier pedal and found the softer suspension to be great.

As for the interior, I didn't really take much away from it as I'm looking to buy a SX (none arrived at my dealer so far). As far as the actual drive goes though, I really liked it and tossed down a deposit for a SX.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
Never drove the previous one, but for those who thought it lacked off the line I'd be tempted to blame ECO mode or transmission; mine does very well for a 3800-lb. vehicle when I decide to dig into the go pedal. ECO mode definitely decreases responsiveness from the throttle quite noticeably.

For those commenting on the steering, I have the selectable steering mode and prefer the sport setting. There's still no feedback (drive by wire, there never will be), but there's a pleasant heft to the wheel in sport mode. I leave it in sport all the time.

-Andrew

·
Registered
532 Posts
Never even thought of that. The new Sorento has the 'Active Eco' which is the eco mode that actually does something vs. the eco mode that does nothing in our Sorentos.

I can guarantee that this is why it felt so sluggish. Trying to save on gas by reducing throttle response.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
Never even thought of that. The new Sorento has the 'Active Eco' which is the eco mode that actually does something vs. the eco mode that does nothing in our Sorentos.

I can guarantee that this is why it felt so sluggish. Trying to save on gas by reducing throttle response.
Well, I can guarantee that if ECO mode was activated, it does make the car more sluggish, and specifically does reduce throttle response. What I can't guarantee is whether ECO mode was activated during others' disappointing test drives. It's a button near the shifter that activates it, and a green "ECO" display in the gauge cluster to indicate whether it's activated, but I can imagine overlooking those things on a test drive in a car you're not familiar with.

-Andrew

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, I can guarantee that if ECO mode was activated, it does make the car more sluggish, and specifically does reduce throttle response. What I can't guarantee is whether ECO mode was activated during others' disappointing test drives. It's a button near the shifter that activates it, and a green "ECO" display in the gauge cluster to indicate whether it's activated, but I can imagine overlooking those things on a test drive in a car you're not familiar with.

-Andrew
Nice to see a '14 owner on here...especially an SX. Be sure to post some pics in the 'PICTURES from proud sorento owners' thread. I'd love to see it.

What's your opinion on it so far?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Nice to see a '14 owner on here...especially an SX. Be sure to post some pics in the 'PICTURES from proud sorento owners' thread. I'd love to see it.

What's your opinion on it so far?
I just signed my life away on a 14 SX as well. :)

In Canada to boot.

One thing that is going to throw me off on here is that the SX in Canada is actually the SX-L in the states.

Anyhow, I opted for the 5 seater as I have no use for 7 seats and I wanted the under floor storage. Wanted silver, but no dice, so opted for black.... I always said I wouldn't get another black vehicle, but oh well, I'll be inside the vehicle the majority of the time. :D Will be nice to have a Kia that actually has an eco mode that does something. The throttle response in my Forte is awful and as a result, fuel mileage in the city is downright nasty. Highway driving is another matter in itself though.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima Hybrid (Premium, Light Graphite)
187 Posts
I would definitely check whether the ECO was on or off. It does exactly what is being described - dulls throttle responses, etc. I just tested a 13 Santa Fe Turbo and it was quite a dramatic difference with the ECO on or off. I can also vouch for the steering being very similar and disconnected. I honestly could barely tell the difference between the three settings it has. They all seemed "Lincoln Town Car" to me. And I am coming from a 12 Sorento EX AWD GDI...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts