1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 EX-Luxury 7 Seater
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Sorento EX luxury 7 Seater. Had some questions on it:

1. Does the car come with Wheel Locks ?
2. Does the Rear hatch door unlock through the remote or unlock and open up ?
3. What is the regular oil change / maintenance cost and Km level - Manual says 12000Kms / 1 Yr while Dealer says 8000Kms / 4 months - Which one to follow?
4. Rust Proofing - Effectivity of ECC Module and how and where to go for regular check ups to keep validity for lifetime (Check every 2 Yrs as per fine print). Whats the cost of check up ? The one that we have does not need any checkup and is valid for 10 years.

5. I bought extended warranty - 8 yrs 160k . It is provided by a company called FCCP. Just wanted to hear thoughts on whether is a good idea to get it. I got it for $1400 (Incl taxes)

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
33 Posts
1. Go out to your Sorento and look at the lug nutz - that's an easy one
2. Mine has a picture of the SUV with the trunk open and says "hold" to unlock it. if you have this then yes it opens with the remote
3. I follow the manual, dealers like to say sooner to get more $$

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
1. Ours did not come with the wheel locks.
2. The back door only unlocks and moves back a few inches. It does not fully open upwards like some other SUVs do.
3. I'm with 20Sorento11 with this one. Follow what Kia says about the oil change.
5. We also did the extended warranty. I don't remember what company it was through though. The dealer sold us on it for $1000. We live in the US and got a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I don't know what the differences with the Canadian one are.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
33 Posts
Sorry I forgot to put that my tail gate does not Auto Open with the Remote, it just unlocks it. I did look at a lot of SUVs that had the Auto Lift Gate and I must say that is a sweet option I wish my Sorento had.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Sorry I forgot to put that my tail gate does not Auto Open with the Remote, it just unlocks it. I did look at a lot of SUVs that had the Auto Lift Gate and I must say that is a sweet option I wish my Sorento had.
not really....

it's a nice convenience

but the downside

it's an accident waiting to happen

imagine if you hit the open hatch door on the remote before you realized the darn guy that parked behind you parked a little too close, or the wide parking lot poles was just not low enough to clear the hatch door passage

it'll be a nasty ding and scratch, not to mention it might even damage the gate motor or pump when trying to force its way up

that's why when i went shopping for a SUV i made sure it did not have that build in as a stock option.

The mazda SUV and many others that I test drove before i purchased the Sorento had that feature build in and I didn't like it

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
33 Posts
not really....

it's a nice convenience

but the downside

it's an accident waiting to happen

imagine if you hit the open hatch door on the remote before you realized the darn guy that parked behind you parked a little too close, or the wide parking lot poles was just not low enough to clear the hatch door passage

it'll be a nasty ding and scratch, not to mention it might even damage the gate motor or pump when trying to force its way up

that's why when i went shopping for a SUV i made sure it did not have that build in as a stock option.

The mazda SUV and many others that I test drove before i purchased the Sorento had that feature build in and I didn't like it

Yes I can see your point there, but on the flip side it is nice when you are carrying a ton of stuff or your kids and you need to get in there. it's nice to just hit a button and watch it open for you (kinda like the power sliders on the vans)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am newbee, since yesterday and asked a question that has not yet been answered so I will ask again and hope I just posted in the wrong section. I have a Kia Sorento 2006 and went to change the air-filter behind the glove box. To my surprise there is nothing in the slot where you would put the filter. I assumed the previous owner took it out and never replaced. I searched for the correct filter only to buy one that did not fit. Now I here from searching the internet that 2003-2006 do not have air-filters. Why is there a slot for one then? Should I make an improvised one? Is there an after market one? Please advise b/c I don't want to ruin anything in my engine. Thank you

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
I am newbee, since yesterday and asked a question that has not yet been answered so I will ask again and hope I just posted in the wrong section. I have a Kia Sorento 2006 and went to change the air-filter behind the glove box. To my surprise there is nothing in the slot where you would put the filter. I assumed the previous owner took it out and never replaced. I searched for the correct filter only to buy one that did not fit. Now I here from searching the internet that 2003-2006 do not have air-filters. Why is there a slot for one then? Should I make an improvised one? Is there an after market one? Please advise b/c I don't want to ruin anything in my engine. Thank you
first, you are in the wrong section, this is for Sorento 2011 and newer, the section for 2003 to 2010 sorento is here http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/

but, to answer your question

the missing air filter will not damage your engine

that air filter is only for the Indoor Cabins, not for the engine

so the worse thing you can get are perhaps bugs or dust flying in when you drive over a construction zone or parked in a park and the bugs sneaks their way into the cabin through the air system for humans

your engine air filter is outside in the engine area, before the firewall

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
676 Posts
Good points about why not to have the auto tail gate option. I was thinking about it when shopping around and the Sorento had all other items I was looking for except the auto tail gate. Wasn't a deal breaker and happy without it.

As for the original questions...some info may be Canadian specific:

1. Does the car come with Wheel Locks ?
    • Mine did not. I actually did not want them either. A previous car had them and they are a pain in the neck. You need to have a special socket for them and need to keep it handy with the vehicle in case you need it. They're usually chromed/plated and the chrome can chip. Not that easy to remove when torqued down. These are stock rims so I figure they are less desirable to steal. I usually keep my Sorento in the garage or at work. Elsewhere, it's not usually on its own for a long period of time.
  2. Does the Rear hatch door unlock through the remote or unlock and open up ?
    • If you have the push button start, which you probably do, all you need to do is walk up to the tail gate and push the button on the tail gate...not the key fob...to open it. It will open whether it's locked or not. If it is locked, the lights will flash and the car will beep to let you know that it was unlocked. When the tail gate is closed, it will re-lock itself and flash/signal again. I think only the tailgate unlocks and not the doors, although I could be wrong. Has worked for me every time, so far.
  3. What is the regular oil change / maintenance cost and Km level - Manual says 12000Kms / 1 Yr while Dealer says 8000Kms / 4 months - Which one to follow?
    • I thought it was 8,000km. Just checked my 2012 manual and it says 12,000km. I used to go in at 6,000km for my previous 2001 Santa Fe. So, they're saying about 3 times a year instead of 2 times a year assuming 24,000km a year. Don't know. I'm comfortable with 8,000km. I look at it like cheap insurance. I don't know how some cars can go 25,000km or more...I think that's the BMW service interval.
  4. Rust Proofing - Effectivity of ECC Module and how and where to go for regular check ups to keep validity for lifetime (Check every 2 Yrs as per fine print). Whats the cost of check up ? The one that we have does not need any checkup and is valid for 10 years.
    • Not sure what you mean or are referring to. This may be specific to the program at the dealer. This is likely not a Kia item but a dealer item. I had mine rust proofed...Diamond Kote. Free annual checkups and re-sprays as necessary. Just had my respray done. Lifetime warranty of the vehicle and transferable.
  5. I bought extended warranty - 8 yrs 160k . It is provided by a company called FCCP. Just wanted to hear thoughts on whether is a good idea to get it. I got it for $1400 (Incl taxes)
    • I did not buy an extended warranty. Bad experience with a previous one where they wouldn't cover an item that should have been...AC compressor. I would only consider one that was backed by Kia. I think a Kia extended warranty is available now and it was not available when I purchased.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Good points about why not to have the auto tail gate option. I was thinking about it when shopping around and the Sorento had all other items I was looking for except the auto tail gate. Wasn't a deal breaker and happy without it.

As for the original questions...some info may be Canadian specific:

[*]Does the Rear hatch door unlock through the remote or unlock and open up ?

[*]If you have the push button start, which you probably do, all you need to do is walk up to the tail gate and push the button on the tail gate...not the key fob...to open it. It will open whether it's locked or not. If it is locked, the lights will flash and the car will beep to let you know that it was unlocked. When the tail gate is closed, it will re-lock itself and flash/signal again. I think only the tailgate unlocks and not the doors, although I could be wrong. Has worked for me every time, so far.
that's bang on, i actually went to test my 2013 SX yesterday after reading the OP question to find out for certain, and indeed it's as you describe

it does not pop the door as PiperPilot03 suggested

it only unlocks the real door only, and if you don't actually touch it after a few minutes, it relocks itself

but you don't really need to even press the keyfob, as it will unlock by itself as well when you manually press the door handle when you open the rear hatch

the only time you'll want to use the button from the keyfob is when you are far away from the car, yet you need to unlock the door for some one to open it for you

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
I have Sorento EX luxury 7 Seater. Had some questions on it:

3. if you fall under "severe driving conditions" page 7/14 which I would suspect for Toronto, then it's 6,000 or every six months. Always go by the owners manual for maintenance.

4. if its one of those electronic type rustproofing units, then they are useless. Its been proven scientifically that they don't work unless of course you park your vehicle under water. :D

5. any extended warranties are generally not worth it. Consumers Reports have done extensive tests on them and in the vast majority of cases you don't get your monies worth. So many exceptions. You would be much better off investing the $1400 and pull it later if the need ever should arise that you need it.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
4. if its one of those electronic type rustproofing units, then they are useless. Its been proven scientifically that they don't work unless of course you park your vehicle under water. :D
dang! now you tell?

if i knew this before my purchased, i'd have saved $1500 off the invoice

well truth is, i knew it didn't work, but they came with an extra 10 years warranty for rust and paint protection, also interior protection for the seats & upholstery, so i though, it was worth it as a "just in case" warranty for those times when crap happens, and they will even cover for your rental.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts