Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, as promised here is a list for the changeable options that my local dealership got me. The options are different for each car, mine is a 2012 Sorento SX AWD, but I don't see anything that would be different from any other options/engine packages. My dealership charges just over $50 to make these changes so it may or may not be worth it for you.

They did not show me the available options for each item so I will list what I know, if you find anything different the send me a msg (as I may not see all replies) and I will edit this post and give you credit :)

1. Auto Door Lock Status - Disable, Lock at 15MPH, Lock at 25MPH
2. Auto Door Unlock Status - Disable, P(ark) Lever
3. Auto Door Lock (Shift Lever Change) - Disable, Enable
4. Door Key Arm/Disarm - Disable, Enable
5. Horn Answer Back/lock - Disable, (?)Enable
6. Lane Change Mode - Disable, Enable (I'm guessing this is for the push to blink 3 times for the blinker)

If you have NOT purchased the vehicle yet then I *HIGHLY* recommend putting this in your purchase demands and assigning NO DOLLAR VALUE to it. It takes the dealership less than 10 minutes and they shouldn't spend any time haggling over it with you to make a sale.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Funny, I just checked with my dealer service center about disabling auto locks on my Sorento (it's a 2011 but I didn't let them know that detail) and they said that it was not possible to configure this on any Sorento. He also said they tried it once and it "didn't work", so I guess I'm at the mercy of the tech's knowledge.

It's too bad too because I'm getting my ECU re-flashed tomorrow and I was hoping they'd make the change free of charge while they were in there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure, my guess would be that you can disable the alarm activating when you use the key to lock the door. Since I didn't want to mess w/ my alarm settings I did not ask for clarification.

@kerrton: I have a horrible screen shot that was faxed to me but it looks like it's under the "GDS" system for "Vehicle S/W Management" (across the top) then there's a menu on the left and it looks like the third one down is expanded and says "Option ____". After that it looks like there's a popup window that says "User Options" for the title and has a list of items and instructions on how to change them. Maybe if you bring them this description they'll do it for you (and you can argue that it should be free since you had to teach their tech).

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had mine set to not unlock the doors in park but rather to unlock them when I shut the engine off by pushing the start button. For security I think it is safer this way rather than when vehicle is placed in park which is the default. The dealer did not charge me for this change.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not sure, my guess would be that you can disable the alarm activating when you use the key to lock the door. Since I didn't want to mess w/ my alarm settings I did not ask for clarification.

@kerrton: I have a horrible screen shot that was faxed to me but it looks like it's under the "GDS" system for "Vehicle S/W Management" (across the top) then there's a menu on the left and it looks like the third one down is expanded and says "Option ____". After that it looks like there's a popup window that says "User Options" for the title and has a list of items and instructions on how to change them. Maybe if you bring them this description they'll do it for you (and you can argue that it should be free since you had to teach their tech).
Hello, I was wondering where I could get this info from? I'd like to change a few settings also but my dealership tech guys told me they weren't sure if this could even be done. I would love to be able to show them that in fact it can be done. They also gave me the spill about having to charge me $95 just because they would have to hook the computer up. Seriously? I'm just waiting for someone smarter than me to figure out how to do this without having to deal with the service department. Thanks for any info you can spare.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The info is all right here, in the post that you quoted are the exact(ish) steps to get to where you need to be and the options you can adjust (though they may be different on a 2013, if so let us know!). Print the thread out and show it to them if you must. The KIA computer must be used, it's not a matter of finding somebody smarter you just don't really have a choice. Still $100 sounds steep, it takes less than 15 minutes to do, but if there aren't any other dealers in your area you may be SOL. If you're planning a road trip near another dealer anytime in the near future call and ask how much they charge and if you give them a 30-60 minute heads up would they be able to get you in and out quickly? Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1. Auto Door Lock Status - Disable, Lock at 15MPH, Lock at 25MPH
2. Auto Door Unlock Status - Disable, P(ark) Lever
3. Auto Door Lock (Shift Lever Change) - Disable, Enable
4. Door Key Arm/Disarm - Disable, Enable
5. Horn Answer Back/lock - Disable, (?)Enable
6. Lane Change Mode - Disable, Enable (I'm guessing this is for the push to blink 3 times for the blinker)

I went to my local dealership and ask'em if they could make the following changes for me and they said sure and never charged me any extra. I was there doing an oil change and tire rotation so I figured I'd see if they'd throw it in.

I had #1 set to have the doors automatically lock once the speed reaches 15mph. Good for if you forget to lock'em and drive off.

I had #2 set to disabled. So now when you shift from Drive to Park all the locks won't unlock.

I had #3 disabled.

#4, 5 and 6 I have no idea what those are. #5 sounds like an option to turn of the beeping sound whenever you hit lock or unlock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The info is all right here, in the post that you quoted are the exact(ish) steps to get to where you need to be and the options you can adjust (though they may be different on a 2013, if so let us know!). Print the thread out and show it to them if you must. The KIA computer must be used, it's not a matter of finding somebody smarter you just don't really have a choice. Still $100 sounds steep, it takes less than 15 minutes to do, but if there aren't any other dealers in your area you may be SOL. If you're planning a road trip near another dealer anytime in the near future call and ask how much they charge and if you give them a 30-60 minute heads up would they be able to get you in and out quickly? Good luck.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can talk them into doing it for at least a reduced price. I just really think they should do something that trivial for free. Maybe I'll do it when I get my first free oil change, see if they can work it in.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Went in for my oil change/seat fix and had the list of options from this thread. Came in handy. You should test these yourself to check your current settings.

I had previously downloaded the PDF for the options from KGIS and wouldn't you know it, found it after the appointment.

They initially said they didn't know what I was talking about but they said they would look. They had not modified these previously. They found the correct screen and updated what I asked them to:

1. Auto Door Lock Status
    • I asked dealer to set this to come on at 20 km/h. other option was off or 40 km/h.
    • This is not a one time thing. If the doors are unlocked and the car is moving above the set speed, they will lock again.
    • Previously had this disabled and the dealer modified this for me.
    • Happens pretty quickly too. 20 km/h comes up pretty quickly.
    • Can't think of any reasons why both 20 km/h and 40 km/h are options. Can anyone think of reasons to choose one over the other?
  2. Auto Door Unlock Status
    • changed so that doors do not unlock when I shift to park.
  3. Auto Door Lock (Shift Lever Change)
    • wasn't sure about this one. asked them not to change it.
    • I thought the doors locked when I put the car into gear. Now, it's not doing it. maybe this conflicts with #1? No biggie, especially since the doors lock when going above 20km/h...I'll have this rechecked on next oil change.
  4. Door Key Arm/Disarm
    • wasn't sure what this was. What this does is with the key, when you lock and unlock the door, the alarm activates and deactivates as well...lights flash and I think the beeping too...can't remember about the beeping.
    • however, this could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I guess overall it's good since you can have it either way, as you prefer. I tested this to confirm it worked.
    • My previous Santa Fe couldn't change this and so when I locked the doors and the key was used, alarm always went off.
    • asked dealer to leave it so that the key activates and deactivates my alarm.
    • Also tested the following, if you turn the key once, unlocks only drivers door. If twice, unlocks all doors. When locking, all doors lock.
  5. Horn Answer Back/lock
    • wasn't sure if this was the beeping that occurs with the alarm or if the horn would actually be used instead of the beeping.
    • left as is with the beeping.
  6. Lane Change Mode
    • this is the tap for quick lane change with 3 blinks of the turn signal.
    • I love this. It avoids wear on the turn switch. left as is.
Dealer said they could change each individual item without modifying others. A good thing if you want to change a setting and aren't sure of the current settings.

Best thing is they did it for no charge. I think it was pretty quick for them too.

I've attached the PDF to this post. The description of the options don't seem to match the options listed at the beginning of the post. I believe the values or actions may depend on the model or options on the car...not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Went in for my oil change/seat fix and had the list of options from this thread. Came in handy. You should test these yourself to check your current settings.

I had previously downloaded the PDF for the options from KGIS and wouldn't you know it, found it after the appointment.

They initially said they didn't know what I was talking about but they said they would look. They had not modified these previously. They found the correct screen and updated what I asked them to:

1. Auto Door Lock Status
    • I asked dealer to set this to come on at 20 km/h. other option was off or 40 km/h.
    • This is not a one time thing. If the doors are unlocked and the car is moving above the set speed, they will lock again.
    • Can't think of any reasons why both 20 km/h and 40 km/h are options. Can anyone think of reasons to choose one over the other?
    • I thought the doors locked when I put the car into gear. Now, it's not doing it. maybe this conflicts with #1? No biggie, especially since the doors lock when going above 20km/h...I'll have this rechecked on next oil change.
  4. Door Key Arm/Disarm
    • wasn't sure what this was. What this does is with the key, when you lock and unlock the door, the alarm activates and deactivates as well...lights flash and I think the beeping too...can't remember about the beeping.
    • however, this could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I guess overall it's good since you can have it either way, as you prefer. I tested this to confirm it worked.
    • My previous Santa Fe couldn't change this and so when I locked the doors and the key was used, alarm always went off.
    • Also tested the following, if you turn the key once, unlocks only drivers door. If twice, unlocks all doors. When locking, all doors lock.
  5. Horn Answer Back/lock
    • wasn't sure if this was the beeping that occurs with the alarm or if the horn would actually be used instead of the beeping.
  6. Lane Change Mode
Dealer said they could change each individual item without modifying others. A good thing if you want to change a setting and aren't sure of the current settings.

Best thing is they did it for no charge. I think it was pretty quick for them too.

I've attached the PDF to this post. The description of the options don't seem to match the options listed at the beginning of the post. I believe the values or actions may depend on the model or options on the car...not sure.
Great PDF. At least now I can tell them exactly which item I want changed. I'm a little fed up with my service dept though. I was also told that they didn't know that could be done. Then they said it would be $95 to change anything since they would have to hook up the "computer"...... Geez, that must be some computer. I was even there for my first oil change and have bought several accessories from them. Feeling a little shafted so I think I will take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great PDF. At least now I can tell them exactly which item I want changed. I'm a little fed up with my service dept though. I was also told that they didn't know that could be done. Then they said it would be $95 to change anything since they would have to hook up the "computer"...... Geez, that must be some computer. I was even there for my first oil change and have bought several accessories from them. Feeling a little shafted so I think I will take my business elsewhere.
Great PDF VIM. Wouldn't it be great if we could do this ourselves by hooking up a laptop to the OBD II. Any idea if we can find software for this, anyone?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm pretty sure we can't, unless someone comes up with their own interface and software. It uses GDS which is much more than just setting options.

The PDF shows that Optima owners can do some or all of the changes by themselves through the dash and screens in the car. That's the best solution for future cars.

Also, it may be possible that for some models or installed options, the selections may not apply, not have any effect or may show up differently...not sure. Spongebob218 pointed that out in another thread.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm pretty sure we can't, unless someone comes up with their own interface and software. It uses GDS which is much more than just setting options.

The PDF shows that Optima owners can do some or all of the changes by themselves through the dash and screens in the car. That's the best solution for future cars.

Also, it may be possible that for some models or installed options, the selections may not apply, not have any effect or may show up differently...not sure. Spongebob218 pointed that out in another thread.
Pity! But actually the GDS software can be downloaded and installed in your laptop from the KGIS. So its just a matter of the interface and the know how I guess.
I tried pressing the "trip" knob for 5 seconds just in case, but alas! no luck! :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
cool stuff. thx for posting this up. i will def. be changing the Auto Door Unlock Status setting so the car does not unlock the doors when I shift to park.

here's a setting/feature not on the list that i would love to have. years ago i had a saab 9-3. when you held the unlock button down on the remote, all the windows would go down and the sunroof would open. in the summer, this feature is great because you can get some of the hot air out of the car for 10-15 seconds before you even get to the car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pity! But actually the GDS software can be downloaded and installed in your laptop from the KGIS. So its just a matter of the interface and the know how I guess.
I tried pressing the "trip" knob for 5 seconds just in case, but alas! no luck! :p
Nice. All I need now is the cable used to connect my laptop and the Sorento. I'm sure it's for sale somewhere, just need to know where on the vehicle I would need to connect it..:cool:

HEF, that is one of the main functions I would like to change. Safety issue as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for posting the PDF, I'll be bringing it with me to the dealers when I ask for some programming. Before I do that, does anyone know if any of the door lock options are in any way related to each other. I like the option I have now for locking/unlocking with the shift lever change - when I leave park all the doors lock and when I go back into park they unlock. What I don't like is that the doors can be opened while the vehicle is moving. My question is thism, does enabling the auto door lock status at 20 or 40 km/h mean that the doors cannot be opened with the car in motion above the noted speeds or is it simply that the doors don't lock until the sped is reached. I really don't like the fact that the doors can be opened while the vehicle in in motion.
Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts

1. Auto Door Lock Status
  4. Door Key Arm/Disarm
  5. Horn Answer Back/lock
  6. Lane Change Mode

Thank you SOOO MUCH for sharing this PDF VIM. I was told by 2 dealers it was impossible to change the door unlock on park "feature". Going to show them thos PDF next oil change. I absolutely despise the auto unlock on park (especially ALL DOORS) but love the auto lock when shifting out of park.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
tt101
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing