Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the maximum speed of the fortuner? In sorento I believe is 180km/hr but I heard from my dealer that some of their sorento CRDi owner told them that they can go till 200 km/hr which is the maximum on the speedometer. I tried it up to 180km/hr for few minutes and I can hear by the sound of the engine plus rpm reading that it can go more but I did not push more because my wife complained when she saw the speedometer :)

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Considering both Sorento 2.5 CrDi and Fortuner 3.0 DiD are direct injection engines, I would assume the Fortuner would have better horsepower rating and higher torque. Of course, the Fortuner is a much larger vehicle than the Sorento. On the whole, it's really the combination of both driver skill and vehicle performance that will determine which is the faster/better-riding/safer driver's car.

In terms of hype, though, Toyota wins hands down (11 month wait for a Fortuner). Sorento's "quiet" ad campaign seems too laid back and benign. I'm a gas-fed Sorento owner and I wouldn't trade a Fortuner for a Sorento (and considering that gas and diesel prices are within a few pesos of each other, Idon't feel so bad any more).

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think as far as torque is concerned, I heard that fortuner is 343 N-m which is same as Sorento CRDi. On straight road Sorento has a bit of advantage since it's smaller that the Fortuner plus Sorento has a better aerodynamic design and lower center of gravity which makes him more stable on highspeed and with less wind resistance than the Fortuner. By the appearance of the Fortuner, design is good but he looks tipsy and prone to roll over because of his height and short wheelbase. Unlike with Sorento, he looks like a real road hugger. Anyway, with 3.5 V6 engine that you have Swim, you still can convincingly beat him. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
Sometimes (or, to be truthful about it, oftentimes), when I feel naughty, I do engage some of these 'yabang' vehicles on the road (often on the SLEX). Other than a 2005 Expedition and a mean looking Subaru who zipped by me as if there were no tomorrow, nobody's beat me to the exit yet -- not the Xtrails, not the Cefiro 3.0, not the anemic but super yabang Everest and Pajero, not the Escape 3.0.

I think the combination large gasoline displacement, heavier weight, the WIDEST stance/track and driver gall add up to one very stable mama in the Sorento. Unlike the Explorer and the Escape (even the 2005 models, according to Consumer Review), the Sorento has no tendency to flip over). The Xtrails, CRVs old-gen Pajeros and 3.0 Patrols are just too puny for a large 3.5 V6. Have Fun!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
14 Posts
I was "fooling around" with several ideas about what car to buy, for quite some time....
The Fortuner is quite stylish, -maybe even by an italian (Pinifarina) point of wiew, -ok, I'll admit that.
But coming from Europe, I wouldn't even consider a car, without disc-brakes on all four wheels, -regardless of the ABS, and so on. Wether the Furtuner can reach 200 km/t, or not is purely academical, -I know of no such road in the Philippines, where such as speed can be reached! 200 km/t is pretty fast, -particularly for a car that's well over 18 cm high, and an big, square front like the Fortuner. To the extent it matters, I have had a car capable of such a speed, and I allmost reached that speed, in northers Germany, between Hamburg and the dutch border, many years ago. I can tell you; this is very fast! Nevertheless, at this speed, I was overtaken by what I believe was a Ferrari 512BB, and he wanished over the next hill, -I didn't even think about keeping up.... :amen:
The issue at hand might not be the available speeed, -the issue goes over the fact that the Sorento can be purchased -more or less- everywhere, while the furtuner is purely an AUV, -not many in Europe have even heard about this car, and even less will ever see it, -unless, -ofcourse- if they'll come to Asia...
When it comes to acceleration, -well, with my Sorento crdi, I have yet to be overtaken in an acceleration out of a junction....
It goes a little over the available power, but in my wiew, the driving tecnique have a certain impact.
And I might add; as the lady said, there's no sunstitute for age and experience.... ;)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HenryCow Posted Jun 10 2006, 11:25 PM
And I might add; as the lady said, there's no sunstitute for age and experience....

:thumbsup: That's quite true Henry. I remember last Sorento Fun Run ( May 20, 2006) I had a chat with one Sorento owner who's over 70 years old already but still driving like an 18 year old. He told me he's driving his Sorento speed of 180 km/hr often in SLEX and might be telling the truth since every place that we went during the Fun Run, he's always the first guy to arrive. Yeah, Sorento is really great and fun to drive and I really enjoy driving it especially during long drive. Tried my friend's Toyota Fortuner and was really not so good to drive because of the suspension and not so strong braking capacity because of Disc/drum brake set up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fortuner's d4d engine is making havoc now to some owners. there are a lot of reported problems regarding fortuner's d4d engine. Hard starting, choking and engine just stop working even if ur running. They are blaming it on the dirty diesels in the philippines but i dont think so! toyota just cant accept d fact that d4d engines are not yet tested tru time, its a new engine and its just now that it is showing its faults.

The sorento's crdi engine never gave headaches to d owners. dirty diesels as what toyota is claiming is not applicable to d sorento. crdi engine is the best. tucson, starex have crdi engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts