Kia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went through the same problem. After replacing my bolt twice in one week I decided to call a machine shop. now I have a bolt out of a ford 460 crank holding it on. Working great. Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive been reading about the recalls for the 2003 sorentos crankshaft but are there any for 2006? I Have an 06' Sorento LX and I swear every few months it's something else. This weekend I was merging onto a highway when I heard loud shreaking noise and all of a sudden my e-brake light came on, battery light came on and I lost power steering. I called KIA consumer assistance and the lady I spoke with was very rude and unhelpful. Ive been reading about so many people having the same exact problem and I'm still waiting to hear from the KIA dealership I bought it from. I lemon lawed the vehicle a few years ago for the check engine light coming on every 2,000 miles and only got some cash out of the settlement but it wasn't even enough to buy a new warranty! I read somewhere that the recall was in 2007 for the crankshaft and I bought the 06' used in September 2007 but the lady at KIA assistance told me there are no recalls for my vehicle.....ugh

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Ive been reading about the recalls for the 2003 sorentos crankshaft but are there any for 2006? I Have an 06' Sorento LX and I swear every few months it's something else. This weekend I was merging onto a highway when I heard loud shreaking noise and all of a sudden my e-brake light came on, battery light came on and I lost power steering. I called KIA consumer assistance and the lady I spoke with was very rude and unhelpful. Ive been reading about so many people having the same exact problem and I'm still waiting to hear from the KIA dealership I bought it from. I lemon lawed the vehicle a few years ago for the check engine light coming on every 2,000 miles and only got some cash out of the settlement but it wasn't even enough to buy a new warranty! I read somewhere that the recall was in 2007 for the crankshaft and I bought the 06' used in September 2007 but the lady at KIA assistance told me there are no recalls for my vehicle.....ugh
Sounds like your very unhappy with your Sorento.............maybe it's time to part ways??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorento 03-06 crank-shaft defect

Lizz15090: Sorry to hear about your car ,, I had the same problem ,, A mechanic had to change the crank-shaft, but in my case he fixed its deformity ,, the problem started when a bolt which became weaker spinning inside the skewed crank then broke inside the crank-shaft . but it cost a lot since they had to disassemble the engine!! it also took a lot of time .

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Sorento Crank BOLT Broke..engine swap?? HELP!

I have owned my 2006 Sorento since new.... Its awesome, but the crank bolt broke again.... now its destroyed the threads and cant be removed.... I have access to the salvage auction... Bought a 2006 SEDONA... not realizing it has a 3.8l engine not a 3.5l. Does anyone know if I can swap them? HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
3.8L has a different block, different electronics, and a different ECU. Swapping would be totally custom, and you'd have to go get a 3.8L tranny from 07-10 Sorento

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The tensioner collapsed on my 2006 Kia Sorento at around 36,000 miles. I think someone had been working in this area before. I reused the bolt but the threads were damaged in the crank. I used a tap to clean up the threads.
If the threads in the crank were damaged this would cause bolt problems.
My Alldata says replace the bolt and I purchased a new bolt and washer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased a 2007 Sorento

Hi all, I'm new here. My wife and I just purchased a clean used 2007 Sorento with 130,000 miles on it, mainly to be used by her. We purchased this from a very reputable and well established Toyota dealership here.

I saw several mentions of this problem online before buying the car, and gave me some concern and hesitation. I called Kia with the VIN and they said it was not part of the cars with the issue. The '07 has the 3.8L engine with a timing chain rather than a belt. Anyone heard of any issues with this one? I really like the car, it drives and rides like a new vehicle.

I would say one thing to others reading complaints on the Kia...if you research just about ANY modern vehicle there will always be some issues out there. Apparently quality control isn't quite what it used to be, regardless of the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Your engine is not the same engine that did have a problem with crank gears and bolt. You have a timing chain.
Next time start a new thread rather than adding to a 2 year old one. A lot more people will see it.
Hope you enjoy your Sorento....

Hi all, I'm new here. My wife and I just purchased a clean used 2007 Sorento with 130,000 miles on it, mainly to be used by her. We purchased this from a very reputable and well established Toyota dealership here.

I saw several mentions of this problem online before buying the car, and gave me some concern and hesitation. I called Kia with the VIN and they said it was not part of the cars with the issue. The '07 has the 3.8L engine with a timing chain rather than a belt. Anyone heard of any issues with this one? I really like the car, it drives and rides like a new vehicle.

I would say one thing to others reading complaints on the Kia...if you research just about ANY modern vehicle there will always be some issues out there. Apparently quality control isn't quite what it used to be, regardless of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
no matter how many times you fix the bolt, it will snap again. Kia replaced the engine in 2007.
That is not entirely true. I replaced the timing belt twice over the length of ownership on a 2003
3.5 Sorento (122,000 miles) and had zero issues from the bolt. If it is replaced each time, torqued correctly, and the accessories belts not over tightened there should not be any issues. Jmho.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another thing, why should the crank bolt be changed when doing a Timing Belt? That is never done with any other vehicle. Is Kia that much of a piece of junk? I will never buy another Kia or Hyundai, and I am a used car wholsaler!
This is not the only vehicle with a "one time" bolt. Work on a Bmw, and you will be running into all sorts of bolts to replace. I did a starter replace on an 05 325i. Starter bolts were one time use items.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Broken crank bolt

I had this happen...twice. Neither was covered because I was over my 100K mile warranty.
The first repair was by the book. The broken bolt was removed from the crankshaft and replaced with the standard Kia bolt, all to the tune of $938. When it happened again, the first mechanic refunded every penny without a fight (can you believe it?) the second time I took it to a different mechanic who wanted to do the same repair. I put him on hold, and began doing a little digging.
It turns out that Kia re-purposed a crankshaft, pulley, and harmonic balancer already in use in other models, as car makers often do. In order to make it easier to remove the crankshaft pulley for future repairs or service, Kia designed a mutant bolt with an extremely lengthy, and HEAVY head (heavy being the operative word), as in about 8X heavier than the standard. The problem was, they did not increase the diameter of the bolt to compensate for the significant increase in weight, so when the engine operates at 4K-5K rpm’s for 100K miles, it's only a matter time before the bolt shears off.
So what was the repair? I had a machinist drill the crankshaft, pulley, and harmonic balancer, increasing it by 1/8”. Drilling the crankshaft required removal of the grill to gain access, but it was MUCH cheaper than removing the crankshaft. He used Some type of laser system to assure he was dead center.
I’ve had no further issues. I was concerned at first about the drilling of the crankshaft, because if it had been off, that would’ve created a whole new set of problems, but he was spot on. The new bolt was a hardened bolt with a normal head.
Why Kia felt they needed a mutated bolt, I do not know. It certainly couldn’t have been only to make service or repairs easier, because isn’t that what Deep we’ll sockets, and socket extensions are for? If anyone knows, please share the info.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
25 Participants
gee6
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing