Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alloys on my Sorento 2.5 Diesel have a very rough finish, many UK owners have complained about the build up of black scabs on them. I complained back in March 2005 about my own wheels but the dealer said there was nothing he could do about it. Have any other owners experience this problem?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Black scabs? Could be brake dust. If you don't wash your car/wheels frequent enough then the brake dust will start to eat away at the wheels, especially the front wheels. Brake dust is pretty corrosive and it will ruin the finish on any wheel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:00000732:
Your dealer is having you on if they say they don't know anything re the prob with the alloys. It is well reported that they will replace the set of alloys ( I had all 5 replaced ! ) & in some cases the tyres have been replaced as well. My dealer took digital photos on a Monday afternoon, then phoned me Tuesday mid morning to say a full new set ( they have a smooth laquered feel ) would arrive Thursday for fitting. Tell your dealer that unless something is sorted you will contact Kia UK customer support & complain about the lack of support from you dealer ........ then sit back and watch the fireworks !!! Try the UK Kia sorento forum as well.
Cheers
Mark
:460:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The wheel laquer becomes pitted, laquer just usn't thick/strong enough, well known issue, and kia will replace the first set free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I will go back to my dealer and try to persuade him that I do have an issue.
:gunsmilie:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe that there was a recall notice relating to this, al 5 alloys changed but you MUST keep them clean otherwise the black marks will get the new set too and Kia won't replace two sets.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
david pye emailed me the following so thats why Im posting it.....
Hi I am new to this my Sorento also has black pitting on the wheels will contact my dealer Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My new wheels are at the dealers . I have booked in to have them fitted this Friday morning.
Thanks everyone for comments as this urged me to have another go at my dealer.
:liebe011:

·
Registered
16 Posts
have been in to my local dealers and complained about corosion on o/s/f wheel,also difficult cleaning, i was told that as the second owner, my sorento had already had one set of wheels,it would be unlikley that kia uk would replace the wheels but they would put in a claim , suprise,suprise dealer rang up and told me that a new set of alloys were on order what a result ,so dont let your dealer or kia fob you off !

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have just had a second set of alloys replaced under warranty for pitting due to poor lacquering. Kia have experienced this problem with a second supplier, so if the issue is actually pitting due to brake dust, and warranty still applies, you should be able to get a change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts