Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2010 2.5cdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 model (2009 spec) leapt out of control with no warning and put me on the middle of a roundabout! It sent my wife careering across a T junction and then drove me into the back of my neighbours Discovery from a standstill when I was parking!
I have deduced that the problem is the accelerator sensor and only happens when the heater is on high (which it never is now) but, “scary” doesn’t cover it!
A 2.5 diesel Sorento cannot be stopped by the foot brake, not at 4000 revs, and I need to sort this.
Kia we’re not inclined to help and quoted me £500 for a replacement (parts only) so, I was wondering if anyone else had come across this issue and what you might have done about it?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,817 Posts
Why would Kia help you out, your Sorento is 11 years old? This is not a common problem at all. Things break all the time.....

·
Registered
Sorento 2010 2.5cdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would Kia help you out, your Sorento is 11 years old? This is not a common problem at all. Things break all the time.....
Oh, I thought it was a common issue! Something to do with the placement of the sensor. Anyway, thanks for your empathy 😂😂

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
2,064 Posts
I think I would have heard if this were a common problem. - or even a problem.... To be honest, I'm not exactly sure which model is actually being discussed here. This may be a 2.5 Mk1/1.5 body built in 2008/9 (2009MY), but sitting until 2010 in an import yard or it may be a (new) body 2010 - but those did not come with a 2.5 engine.

Whichever - those years of Sorento are not sentient - so the car did not try to kill you.
What I do know is that it is possible to put your foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time - but that is not a problem solely of Kia ...... but seriously folks

How has it been deduced that the issue is with the accelerator sensor? Do you mean throttle pedal sensor*??? Perhaps Throttle body sensor?? The latter could run to hundreds from a dealer as Kia specify full throttle body replacement on later models and dealer would not fit just the sensor (which was available from Hyundai). [*It's an electronic throttle - "drive by wire" - unlike the 3.5/3.3/3.8 gas engine.]

Have you seen any error codes from the diagnostics? That would help if you want a cure.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,525 Posts
It is not a Decepticon is it? :giggle:

·
Registered
Sorento 2010 2.5cdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I would have heard if this were a common problem. - or even a problem.... To be honest, I'm not exactly sure which model is actually being discussed here. This may be a 2.5 Mk1/1.5 body built in 2008/9 (2009MY), but sitting until 2010 in an import yard or it may be a (new) body 2010 - but those did not come with a 2.5 engine.

Whichever - those years of Sorento are not sentient - so the car did not try to kill you.
What I do know is that it is possible to put your foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time - but that is not a problem solely of Kia ...... but seriously folks

How has it been deduced that the issue is with the accelerator sensor? Do you mean throttle pedal sensor*??? Perhaps Throttle body sensor?? The latter could run to hundreds from a dealer as Kia specify full throttle body replacement on later models and dealer would not fit just the sensor (which was available from Hyundai). [*It's an electronic throttle - "drive by wire" - unlike the 3.5/3.3/3.8 gas engine.]

Have you seen any error codes from the diagnostics? That would help if you want a cure.
Thanks, I only passed my driving test in 1979 so I probably did press the accelerator with brake.

I’m sorry to have posted this, I was under the mistaken impression that someone would have experienced this and have a useful suggestion for me.
My mistake.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
453 Posts
Those sensors are dual (separate wiring even) and opposite acting to give some 'fail safe' info to the computer. I'd suspect some other problem than the sensor. It is a must fix situation for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,817 Posts
If any of us knew anything of your issue we would offer advise. Sorry

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
513 Posts
I have deduced that the problem is the accelerator sensor and only happens when the heater is on high (which it never is now) but, “scary” doesn’t cover it!
How many times has this event happened so far? Can it be reported to whoever looks after transport safety and recalls?

I have an ix35 CRDI with drive by wire accelerator pedal and with boots on I have snagged the pedal on brake application and given myself a scare. The footwell is a little cramped , not familiar with Sorento.

·
Diesel Pro
2,064 Posts
Thanks, I only passed my driving test in 1979 so I probably did press the accelerator with brake.
Not trying to minimise the situation .... I passed my test several years before you, but I can still hit the wrong/both pedal - (to my cost) - but not to the same effect as you stated in your earlier post. If you want help respond with the info re diagnostics (or lack of).

If this is regarded as a safety issue then DVSA [ Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency ] could be involved, but they won't act on what they perceive (as persuaded by the mnf'r!!) as a purely mechanical/electrical issue. For example the 'ABS unit fire potential' issue was a safety recall, but rusting/failing axle components (several 'loss of control' incidents) was not (treated as a service campaign with many vehicles missing out).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,444 Posts
"I have deduced that the problem is the accelerator sensor and only happens when the heater is on high (which it never is now) but, “scary” doesn’t cover it!"

Sorry Mate,' Deducing' doesn't cut it in the modern world. Get thy self to a master mechanic with some real diagnostic tools to look for hidden codes or faults.

This is serious, we would not wish any harm to you or others near you.

If this happens again, thrust the transmission into neutral and turn off the engine ASAP!

We hope this is a repeatable fault, if not it will be a real bugger to fix. Good Luck! (try to repeat the issue in a parking lot with no one around and away from any lamp poles....Be careful!

·
Diesel Pro
2,064 Posts
Did a bit of digging and there is some noise about this issue, but it seems to relate to Sportage models (maybe 2010 on and not clear gas or diesel) and a faulty cruise control module. I don't know if there is any common equipment in that respect, but I thought a Sportage owner might be interested 🙋‍♂️ google 'sudden unexplained acceleration <model type>'

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2014 1.4 Auto
1 Posts
This is a major safety issue and irrespective of the car’s age this should never occur and you should report it to the appropriate agency.

As one poster stated, there are two sensors, one in the pedal and one in the throttle body - they must both agree, if they don’t the car should shutdown or go into “limp” mode. On that basis it is hard to imagine how this could be caused by the accelerator itself.

You might be on the right track with the problem in the cruise control - I.e. mysteriously turning on ??? But a cruis control is always designed to shut off if the brake is depressed - you indicated hitting the brake doesn’t stop it. Either way that is a safety issue as well that should never be able to occur and Kia should rectify it before someone is injured or worse.

I would write to Kia USA and to a relevant Safety Agency so your issue is logged / recorded and you have a formal response from them.

I would not drive a car that does this!! You probabably shouldn’t either now, especially given you are aware of the issue and you posted it online.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts