Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a Sorento today and was wondering how it was engauged? I see the Dial on the left of the dash... Do you just have to turn it to a setting to get it to work? Also..does the + and - on the shifter (the gears) indicate Hi and Low 4wg options?

Also..what speeds etc..do you have to beto safely engauge and disenguage the 4wd?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
536 Posts
which system ? TOD or part time ? 4WD

part time, knob is 2 WH , 4WH, 4WL shift on the fly from 2WH to 4WH and back down to speeds of 50 mph with wheels stright, but not on hard dry surfaces

4WL must be selected with vehicle in nutral first, vehicle stoped

the plus/minus is sort of a manuel control of gears with engine brake, but will down shift by it's self if vehicle speed get too low and will shift up if engine rpm's get too high

i use the plus/minus all the time when i am back in the woods in 4WD in deep sand and shallow water to keep the engine rpm up

TOD has an auto setting that sences wheel slippage and engages the transfer case as needed to engage the front differental it also has the 4WL as well

TOD= torque on demand, luxury package only

i think i explained it correctly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is the TOD like and On Demand ALL Wheel Drive? I don't want my wife to have to think to use it (oops..did I say that?)
:460:

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Yep the TOD is effectively an "automatic" 4WD system and "she who must be obeyed" doesn't have to do a thing.

The low ratio on the TOD package basically locks it in 4WD and gives you much lower ratio gears for up and down hills

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
79 Posts
TOD has a normal split of 10% drive to the front and 90% drive to the rear. As the torque demand increases so this split is transferred progressively to balance the drive between front and rear wheels - just drive, the electronics do the work. Be slightly careful turning sharp corners as the TOD can kick in and really rocket you away: I've left many BMWs standing at the lights for the same reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts