Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I have been reading through a couple of previous threads which refer to www.kiatechinfo.com however i can't seem to find the answer.

I have a 2007 Sorento 2.5 manual petrol with a loose handbrake cable.

I have previously adjusted the handbrake to its tightest position at the rear drums (through the little holes) however better it is still not effective.

Please can you tell me if there are any other places for adjustment on the 2007 model. I have read some people say that there is an adjustment by the handbrake level itself or under the rear axle.

I have also gathered from reading other posts that the handbrake shoes could be worn but is this likely as the shoes surely only engage when the handbrake is on and the vehicle is stopped?

I am fairly new to brakes although i have done engine changes on other cars etc so if i pull off the rear hubs in order to check the shoes is there any danger of the wheel bearing being damaged? I know that sounds odd but i have known bearing to collapse when pulling hubs off.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Daz

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
There is an equalizer on the rear axle that pivots when the hand brake is applied. Often it will rust and stick, which will cause the shoes to stay partially applied and cause the cable from the handle to have slack. It can be unbolted, cleaned and lubed. Its possible that shoes are worn, or the cable is stretched, but this is easy to check so do it first.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
I have a 2007 Sorento 2.5 manual petrol
Are you sure about that?? ;)

There is an adjuster at the lever end, but you have to manouver past the top of the gaiter. I have never needed to do it - I think it needs a 10mm socket with an extension bar. I would agree, the seized equaliser is usually the most likely cause.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Gee6. I am obviously having a spelling issue. I meant diesel, not petrol haha.

I will get the car up on ramps and have a look at the equaliser and the back of the gater. I kind of assumed that there wasn't an adjuster at the handbrake end because the gater doesn't look as easy to pop off as most cars.

Thank you very much for the reply though. :D

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your comments spongebob.

I wasn't sure how likely it is that the handbrake shoes and cable are worn as they are only used when the car is stationary. I appreciate it is possible that the shoes have been partially engaged and have therefore worn out.

Thank you also for getting back to me.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello people.

I have taken your advice and i have investigated the equaliser on the back axle. As you predicted it had ceased. I have cleaned it and now it moves freely. I have also adjusted the handbrake cylinders through the inspection holes in the rear hubs. They are as tight as they can go.

I am guessing that the handbrake shoes could be worn due to the equaliser being ceased.

Now i have a question and it is going to sound really stupid. How to you remove the rear hubs to change the handbrake shoes. I have bought the shoes, and i have a hub puller however i can't seem to remove the hub.

There are 2 screw heads in the hub that appear to be made out of soft metal and are not turning easily. There is also a smaller disc within the 5 studs that has 4 little raised lips. It is almost as if that spins off or comes off some how so i can remove the nut to slide the hub off.

I don't want to break anything. Any advice on the next step would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Daz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts