Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a new Sorento but wanted to find out what "actual" fuel consumption is like for the 2.5 CRD with a manual gearbox.

I believe that fuel consumption figures were improved here in the UK when Kia "tweaked" the engine on new vehicles from Feb 2004?

This was supposed to raise average consumption from 32 mpg to 36 mpg. Do new vehicles get anywhere near this figure on the road?

Most interested in any replies.

Many thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by selorid@Dec 12 2004, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a new Sorento but wanted to find out what "actual" fuel consumption is like for the 2.5 CRD with a manual gearbox.

I believe that fuel consumption figures were improved here in the UK when Kia "tweaked" the engine on new vehicles from Feb 2004?

This was supposed to raise average consumption from 32 mpg to 36 mpg. Do new vehicles get anywhere near this figure on the road?

Most interested in any replies.

Many thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by iannrandall@Dec 14 2004, 04:30 PM

I did a test drive on a manual Sorento 5 speed and nearly walked away as I did not like it at all, really felt I always wanted a 6th gear to go into. Then I tried a 4 speed auto and my opion started to change, next was my present 5 speed auto. Now a very happy chappie!!
Towing my caravan is a pleasure with no worries about snaking, even got the wife towing!!
Fuel consumption is slowly getting better as the engine runs in more, now upto 27mpg no matter what I do with the car, towing or 80mph on a motorway where it just purrs along.
At the end of the day I don't think you will get anywhere near car type fuel performance out of a 2 ton truck that is a gentle beast but beast enough to do all you ask of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
i have a Sorento manual 2.5cdi XS. i honestly can't say that i have checked the fuel economy but have always assumed that i was getting about 30 to the gallon, the same as my previous car, mondeo 2.0 estate. i can get 460 miles to a tank of diesel (when the red light comes on) but there is usually still 10 litres left in the tank as it takes about 60 litres to fill and it's a 70 litre capacity.
it's scary when filling up from empty though - it takes nearly 60.00 to fill.....
Ros

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much Ros (& Murphwiz of course)

That's interesting and doesn't seem too far from the UK "official" figures

Anyone else know their approx fuel consumption for the diesel lump?

Most interested

·
Registered
77 Posts
:eek: What's going on, is the fuel tank 70 ltrs. I have a fuel receipt right here in front of me where I put in 82.21 ltrs. The fuel light had been on constant for about 8 miles and I did fill it to the top of the neck but I would never had thought you could sqeeze in extra 10 litres over the over the documented quantity, thats in excess of 2 gallons.

A very scary £69.80 :blink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by selorid@Jan 18 2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks very much Ros (& Murphwiz of course)

That's interesting and doesn't seem too far from the UK "official" figures

Anyone else know their approx fuel consumption for the diesel lump?

Most interested
I have found the same thing with my EX diesel, 82 litres (approx) to fill up from getting the fuel light come on.
I now wonder if there was actually 10 litres remaining in the tank as stated in the handbook or maybe the float/gauge is out of calibration and the car was virtually on fumes? Not good when averaging only 21 mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2.5 auto and am getting 26mpg no matter how I drive. It is an 03 model.Was expecting a bit more. Still love the car though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My diesel Sorento is returning 43 mpg on motorway at a constant 70mph. Around town I am getting around 33mpg. I'm very impressed with the Sorento

1 - 13 of 13 Posts