Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
and winter greetings from Finland. I just found this forum and it seems very nice.

As background:
I have ordered Sorento 2,5 CRDi automatic (with autom. 4wd option)... just have to wait 2-3 months to get it ... <_<
What I have discovered is that Kia is using Mitsubishi based diesel motors in Sorento. To my experience Mitsu has had problems with 2,5 ltr diesels, I mean the valve cover and the gasket (sorry, not sure this tech term in english, hope you understand what I mean).

And my question:
Do you have / have heard any comments on that, concerning Sorento?
I guess and hope the Mitsu problem is history, but I am just curious.

Anyway I am anxious waiting my Sorento, it feels very worth of money experienced by several test drives within differect conditions. I am interested of Sorento-info because Kia is a new brand here in Finland, just started last Oct.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe it is a hyundai diesel remodelled by Bosch as regardfs the CRDI bit.
( i had the same misgivings as you - Mitsubishi - based on my own experience - could not make a decent diesel engine - even if they wanted to.) I was going down the CRDI route - but due to the Kioto agreemnet Kia could not sell anymore in Europe until Jan 2005. So I went to the v6 and converted it to LPG. Loose a little
torque, but WOW what an acceleration and what a quiet engine. I use to have an 25. TDI Audi A6- the Sorento is three times better. The only thing- I dont understand - why did'nt KIA put the 2.9 diesel in ( the one that goes on the Sedona)- You wont be dissapointed with your KIA. 200 HP is somethingb to have- believe me its better than 147!!!!!!!!!!

The other thing you should be wary of is that it is EU policy to price diesel the same ,if not more than eurosuper 95. lead free. The diesel has more torque - but you dont need that all the time. The other thing that surprises me is that you have a two month lead time. Try nagging them to death- because since Jan 2005 - you can pick up the CRDI version pretty easily. Anway welcom to the form.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The Sedona 2.9 diesel is a bag of nails compared to the 2.5 lump!
Believe me!!! The 2.5 is a fairly new design, I not heard of a mitsubishi link.

2.9, 142bhp/310nm
2.5 138bhp/343nm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jan 14 2005, 12:50 AM
The Sedona 2.9 diesel is a bag of nails compared to the 2.5 lump!
Believe me!!! The 2.5 is a fairly new design, I not heard of a mitsubishi link.

2.9, 142bhp/310nm
2.5 138bhp/343nm

Hi I have just got a new Sorento 2.5 GRDI in Spain (14th January)( where I live) and the 2.5 engine in mine is a Mercedes

John

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
So far I've heard it's a Ford, mitsubishi or merc unit... :unsure:
I'll ask when I'm at Kia UK tech centre at the end of month!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts