Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question if I may. I'm looking around for a new car and the Optima EX (I'd prefer the EX Turbo but my budget won't stretch) is an option. I know nothing about Kia, or Hyundai for that matter. So I'm curious if the Optima uses the same transmission and suspension as the Sonata? I know someone with the Sonata Turbo and I trust his judgement so I'm wondering how much the two cars are the same under the hood. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate but I'm not sure on long term reliability with the new model. The Optima has a 5 year warranty in Canada but I plan on keeping my next car for longer than that if I can. So any comments welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
The powertrain and suspension on the 11-up Optima and 10-up Sonata are the same. The same GDI 2.4L is used in the Sorento, and the same transmission is used in the Sorento FWD, Sportage FWD, and Sedona.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The powertrain and suspension on the 11-up Optima and 10-up Sonata are the same. The same GDI 2.4L is used in the Sorento, and the same transmission is used in the Sorento FWD, Sportage FWD, and Sedona.
Thanks. How do they change the "feel" of the suspension between the two cars? From what I read, the Optima's suspension seems to be firmer?

·
Registered
11 Optima EX 2.4, 04 F-150, Burgman 650, V-Star Midnight Custom
148 Posts
One reason I bought my Optima was because a friend had a Sonata with the same powertrain and they were very happy with it after 40,000 miles. I wanted an EX with the Premium package bacause I wanted memory seats that were not available on any other mid sized affordable car regardless of brand. I have over 13,000 miles on mine and there has not been a single problem of any kind.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
The KIA side is a little more stiff/sporty in the suspension tuning vs. Hyundai. The Turbo SX & EX are yet a bit more sporty in the handling. For the Sonata, the 2.0T (non-luxury) is stiffer as well, but not as much as the Turbo KIA's.

Now, being stiffer is not ROCK STIFF on the turbo's but you certainly know when you run over/hit something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts