Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I start the car up and drive away I notice that the gauges don't work and all warning lights are on.

In order to fix it I have turn the car off, put it in park and restart it. Normally I can't put it back into park without turning the key off first. Then I can put car into park. Its really strange. At that point normally the car starts up and the guages work and the intrument panel does not show any warning indicators.

Its been happening randomly for the last 20,000 miles that I've been a driver of the car.

Its at 67 k now and out of warranty.

I'm a little concerned it'll become more of a problem later down the line.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo LX 2.4L
26 Posts
I can personaly attest that you will have a component failure down the road. I had the same gauge and light problem on our Borrego. It eventually was the HECU or ABS/ESC controller went bad. It can also be a sign of problems with the ECm and TCM. But if the engine and trans seem to be operating normally, it will probably be the HECU. I never had one drivability problem and when the HECU went out the gauges wouldn't work and the car's lights would be all going off and they car really didn't want to drive, it was just stuck in a sort of limp mode.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego LX
248 Posts
This has happened to us five or six times since we bought the vehicle brand new. It now has 119000 kms on it and hasn't experienced major issues. Last time I can remember the gauge anomaly was about 50000 km ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I use this car as a taxi and I have a taxi meter that plugs into the obdII port. I've determined that when that piggyback plug has pressure on it from the fuse panel cover is when I have the most issues with the gauges being all lit up and not functional when I start the car.

I also notice it happens more often when I start the car when the key is turned on to accessory mode and not started from all lights and accessory off position on the key turn.

Whenever it happens I still can fix the problem. I hope it never turns into a money pit of problem. The a/c compressor just went on this car. Thats a fun adventure in parts finding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts