Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX and 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Turbo Limited
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel Economy??? V6 & 2.4 liter GDI?

Power??? Does the 2.4 liter GDI have enough?

I'm seriously considering trading a 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ, with all bells and whistles, for a 2013 Sorento. I like the looks of the Sorento, and have test driven an SX loaded...very nice. Scheduled to test drive a couple of EXs tomorrow. I have read other reviews from owners with the standard 2.4 liter 4 cyl, at 176hp, saying it has no power and to consider the GDI motor. I've read other reviews from owners of the 2.4 liter GDI 4 cyl, at 191hp, saying the same thing. All reviews I've read say the 3.5 liter V6, at 276hp, is plenty powerful. I'm torn between the 2.4 liter GDI (which I haven't driven yet) and the V6...mainly because of the reported EPA fuel ratings of 22-32 for the GDI 4 cyl and 20-26 for the V6. Just wondered what kind of fuel economy real users are getting from both motors?

I guess I'm still shocked that Kia nor Hyundai put the 2.0 liter turbo, at 276hp, in their SUVs. I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonato with that motor, and it is totally awesome! I can pass anything on the road...go from 60-100 very, very quickly, and still average 32-33mpg. The only vehicle I've owned in recent years that could do this was a 2009 Chrysler 300 Hemi - but it got 14mpg.

I've even thought of waiting until January when Hyundai starts selling their new 7-passenger Santa Fe. (No more Veracruz.) And just found out they are ONLY going to offer a 3.3 liter V6, at 290hp, in the 7-passenger. But, they are making the 2.0 liter turbo as an optional motor in the 5-passenger Santa Fe. I just don't understand why Kia and Hyundai both don't do this with theirs. If Ford can put a 2.0 liter turbo in the Explorer, a vehicle weighing 700 lbs more than the Sorento, giving it 28mpg on the highway, why can't Kia and Hyundai put a motor that they already have in production in theirs?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have read that the Ecoboost in the Explorer is a little weak for a vehicle this large. It is excellent in the Edge which I have driven, but I wouldn't use the Explorer as a comparison. If you go to Edmunds Forums you will read many complaints about the actual fuel economy gotten from the Sorento 4 cylinder and the GDI. I would think that a vehicle weighing around 3800lbs even with the 191hp engine would eat gas when it's loaded down or when you are driving in very Hilly terrain. If you live in a flat part of the country and don't plan on taking the family on a lot of trips then maybe it would be fine. If it was me I would get the 6.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
get the V6 is you plan to even remotely try to tow anything in the future

fuel consumption is decent for a SUV of this calibre

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
The gas mileage on the GDI 4-cyl isn't much better than the V6 in real life usage. I've got the V6 and AWD and get a bit over 28mpg on the highway and about 20mpg around town.

I would agree that the 2.0L turbo would be a nice fit in the Sorento for many people. You get the power and (more importantly) the torque of a V6 and the gas mileage of a 4-banger (when you're easy on the gas pedal). I certainly would have opted for that if it had been available for the 2013 model year.

Best,

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
If you are looking for fuel economy, check out the website Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG. I'm glad I looked at the website before we bought ours. I was thinking about getting the 4 cylinder Sorento but I knew it was a bit under powered. After I checked out fuelly, we decided to go with the V6 since the true average MPG is only 1-2 difference between the two. My wife is now on fuelly and is the only 2013 V6 listed but you can also look at the 2011 and 2012 models. So far, she loves the car. Here is a direct link to the Sorento page:

Kia Sorento MPG Reports | Fuelly

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The turbo in the explorer is too weak and makes it a dog. The turbo in the Santa Fe will almost definitely make it into the Sorento in the next update. Only thing you have to wonder is if they will be rolling out their new new/improved torque vectoring and 8 speed transmissions into the Sorento by then as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've also checked out other sites and reviews, and it seems the biggest complaint on the Sorento in general is the poor fuel efficiency in either of the 4 cyl engines. Which is sad, because that's the reason they bought the 4 cylinder to start with...to get better gas mileage. And, the consensus seems to be that the V6 gets just as good gas mileage as the GDI 4 cyl, with a lot more power. I live in a hilly area in East Texas and, from everything I've read, I'm convinced I would not be happy with anything less than the V6.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I concur..

I don't think you can go wrong with the V6. I bought a 2013 EX GDI and regret not moving up to the v6. In hilly atlanta, you really note the lack of power and not so great fuel economy. And based on that fuel economy website noted in this forum, the V6 seems to be averaging a couple miles a gallon better than the 4 cyl. Go figure.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've also checked out other sites and reviews, and it seems the biggest complaint on the Sorento in general is the poor fuel efficiency in either of the 4 cyl engines. Which is sad, because that's the reason they bought the 4 cylinder to start with...to get better gas mileage. And, the consensus seems to be that the V6 gets just as good gas mileage as the GDI 4 cyl, with a lot more power. I live in a hilly area in East Texas and, from everything I've read, I'm convinced I would not be happy with anything less than the V6.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
I test drove both the V6 and the GDI I4 AWD, while there is a power difference it's not as big as I was expecting. The GDI actually has more horsepower that the non-GDI I4 engines despite the better fuel economy. We, personally, didn't feel the price difference and dip in fuel economy (and I can vouch that my 25-26 is better than the V6 AWD gets from what the dealer told me his clients had been reporting) was worth the step up to the V6. I bought a LX 2013 GDI AWD with Conv. Package and 3rd row seat in Pearl White/ Black Interior and we love it. It also came with the side steps and rear bumper protector (which I didn't need but it was the only one near us with the colors my wife wanted). I ordered a aftermarket cargo tray as it seems Kia doesn't make one for the 3rd row Sorento, we also got a dog barrier, and I'm going to be picking up a cargo cover, and all-weather mats on the first of next month.

I've been averaging 25-26mpg with a fair mix of both city and highway driving (no stop and go). I haven't made any modifications yet and I want to but don't want to void our warranty (I negotiated really well on my purchase and got a screaming deal on both the car and the extended warranty...which I normally don't believe in but this is going to hopefully be a 10-15 year vehicle that my wife will predominately drive, the piece of mind and heavily discounted price on the warranty made me jump).

These are just my thoughts YMMV.

fyi The Pearl White is beautiful!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I test drove both the V6 and the GDI I4 AWD, while there is a power difference it's not as big as I was expecting. The GDI actually has more horsepower that the non-GDI I4 engines despite the better fuel economy. We, personally, didn't feel the price difference and dip in fuel economy (and I can vouch that my 25-26 is better than the V6 AWD gets from what the dealer told me his clients had been reporting) was worth the step up to the V6. I bought a LX 2013 GDI AWD with Conv. Package and 3rd row seat in Pearl White/ Black Interior and we love it. It also came with the side steps and rear bumper protector (which I didn't need but it was the only one near us with the colors my wife wanted). I ordered a aftermarket cargo tray as it seems Kia doesn't make one for the 3rd row Sorento, we also got a dog barrier, and I'm going to be picking up a cargo cover, and all-weather mats on the first of next month.

I've been averaging 25-26mpg with a fair mix of both city and highway driving (no stop and go). I haven't made any modifications yet and I want to but don't want to void our warranty (I negotiated really well on my purchase and got a screaming deal on both the car and the extended warranty...which I normally don't believe in but this is going to hopefully be a 10-15 year vehicle that my wife will predominately drive, the piece of mind and heavily discounted price on the warranty made me jump).

These are just my thoughts YMMV.

fyi The Pearl White is beautiful!
The perceived difference must really depend on how you drive. I can easily notice the difference between the V6 in the Sorento over the GDI I4 in a friend's Sonata. And the Sonata weighs 700+ pounds less. I would find that motor in something weighing an extra 700+ pounds to be infuriating, but I drive fairly aggressively. Seems like many people have different impression of the 4 vs 6. Driving style must play in more than I had realized.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
The perceived difference must really depend on how you drive. I can easily notice the difference between the V6 in the Sorento over the GDI I4 in a friend's Sonata. And the Sonata weighs 700+ pounds less. I would find that motor in something weighing an extra 700+ pounds to be infuriating, but I drive fairly aggressively. Seems like many people have different impression of the 4 vs 6. Driving style must play in more than I had realized.
I'm sure it does...when I test drove I pushed the engine hard (getting on and off the Interstate) to test acceleration and the GDI was rather impressive. No it didn't gun like the V6, but I never felt like it was slow or sluggish and it didn't leave me wanting more. It was more than adequate. In reality I don't drive the same way as I test drove it, I'm mindful of how I accelerate mostly because the car is brand new and despite the manual stating no break-in period is neccisary it then states that it should be driven a certain way for the first 600 mi.

I guess for an average driver (non-aggressive, or even mildly aggressive) the GDI I4 would be more than sufficient for most driving conditions, at least it was for us (I even did a little off-roading a couple days ago with no issues). When you take that into account with the price difference and actual experienced mpg's I'm confident that the choice we made was right for us.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm sure it does...when I test drove I pushed the engine hard (getting on and off the Interstate) to test acceleration and the GDI was rather impressive. No it didn't gun like the V6, but I never felt like it was slow or sluggish and it didn't leave me wanting more. It was more than adequate. In reality I don't drive the same way as I test drove it, I'm mindful of how I accelerate mostly because the car is brand new and despite the manual stating no break-in period is neccisary it then states that it should be driven a certain way for the first 600 mi.

I guess for an average driver (non-aggressive, or even mildly aggressive) the GDI I4 would be more than sufficient for most driving conditions, at least it was for us (I even did a little off-roading a couple days ago with no issues). When you take that into account with the price difference and actual experienced mpg's I'm confident that the choice we made was right for us.
I am sure you made a good choice. With a V6 AWD I have tracked my last 5 or 6K miles of fuel fillups by hand and I am averaging about 18.5mpg. So yeah, I get atrocious mileage, largely due to how I drive. But I'm not going to change, too old and set in my ways :)

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
I am sure you made a good choice. With a V6 AWD I have tracked my last 5 or 6K miles of fuel fillups by hand and I am averaging about 18.5mpg. So yeah, I get atrocious mileage, largely due to how I drive. But I'm not going to change, too old and set in my ways :)
Yeah, to each their own...it doesn't matter what other people think or say, ultimately you have to be happy with your own decision. If you crave the added power when you drive then you should definitely get the V6. For what I wanted the GDI just made sense...I could feel the power gain over the non-GDI I4 btw.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, to each their own...it doesn't matter what other people think or say, ultimately you have to be happy with your own decision. If you crave the added power when you drive then you should definitely get the V6. For what I wanted the GDI just made sense...I could feel the power gain over the non-GDI I4 btw.
In addition to better peak numbers I bet the GDI also has a broader torque curve. What I would really like is the turbo GDI that they are putting in the new Santa Fe, I would be happy to trade in my V6 for that. Or, if Hyundai ever puts together a turbo V6 I would be all over that. Realistically though I can't imagine that more than ~300 hp in a Sorento sized/weighed vehicle will really do much, starts to become overkill and power that you will never be able to use due to the Sorento's handling limitations.

I would really rather see things like airbag suspension systems or other cool stuff than much more power than the V6 puts out right now.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
In addition to better peak numbers I bet the GDI also has a broader torque curve. What I would really like is the turbo GDI that they are putting in the new Santa Fe, I would be happy to trade in my V6 for that. Or, if Hyundai ever puts together a turbo V6 I would be all over that. Realistically though I can't imagine that more than ~300 hp in a Sorento sized/weighed vehicle will really do much, starts to become overkill and power that you will never be able to use due to the Sorento's handling limitations.

I would really rather see things like airbag suspension systems or other cool stuff than much more power than the V6 puts out right now.
A turbo GDI in the Sorento would be sick! I agree on maxing out the HP, airbags would be nice.

I love my new car, my only beef (and I know there is a seperate thread for this) is the chrome accents on the gauges...they are blinding in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once again, a lot of good info. My wife will be driving ours most of the time, except on trips. My daily drive is the Hyundai Sonata with the little turbo. And, i do love that motor...and even though the Sorento is 700 lbs heavier, I still think that motor would do well in the Sorento. I guess the thing that bothers me is they offer that little non-GDI 4, at 175hp, but not the turbo at 275hp. Anyway, I'm sure my wife would agree with beaverboy56, and the GDI would be plenty for her. However, as phillyguy says, I know I drive much more aggressively than she does...so, I'm pretty sure I'd be wanting the V6...especially on these hills. We'll see...I'm going to drive them both in a couple of hours. However, now, after more research, I'm really leaning toward a loaded up SX anyway. And, if I do that, my issue is solved, since you can't get the GDI-4 in an SX. :)

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I have to say I am a fairly aggressive driver myself and I have the GDI 4cyl and when I am accelerating and such I do not feel I am left for wanting more to accelerate in to traffic and such. Not to mention in passing others when I need to. Going from a V6 turbo in my previous car to this one, does not make me feel like I am missing that much in the way of acceleration and power.
My gas mileage is great on the Sorento which is MUCH better then my previous rides was. I am getting at the high end 32 mpg. at the low end with a lot of stop and go I get about 20 mpg. I push the engine a bit sometimes in accelerating such as from a ramp trying to get ahead of another car and merging in to traffic so trust me I do not baby this vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
I have to say I am a fairly aggressive driver myself and I have the GDI 4cyl and when I am accelerating and such I do not feel I am left for wanting more to accelerate in to traffic and such. Not to mention in passing others when I need to. Going from a V6 turbo in my previous car to this one, does not make me feel like I am missing that much in the way of acceleration and power.
My gas mileage is great on the Sorento which is MUCH better then my previous rides was. I am getting at the high end 32 mpg. at the low end with a lot of stop and go I get about 20 mpg. I push the engine a bit sometimes in accelerating such as from a ramp trying to get ahead of another car and merging in to traffic so trust me I do not baby this vehicle.
Is yours AWD or FWD?

·
Registered
'12 EX GDI w/Prem
51 Posts
How many miles on yours? My GDI EX FWD has 9k and if I drive very carefully at 65mph I can get close to 29mpg. So far the only way I could get 32mpg is down hill with a tail wind. In my old car, an '07 Hyundai Azera with a large V6 I could get 29 easily and it was epa rated 27 highway.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
How many miles on yours? My GDI EX FWD has 9k and if I drive very carefully at 65mph I can get close to 29mpg. So far the only way I could get 32mpg is down hill with a tail wind. In my old car, an '07 Hyundai Azera with a large V6 I could get 29 easily and it was epa rated 27 highway.
Beaverboy I have an AWD Sorento.

I currently have 2269 miles on mine and getting 32 mpg is not that hard to do actually. I use the Cruise control quite a bit when I am driving long distances of 20 miles or more. On my previous 6cyl ride (Saturn LS2) I was getting 26/28 mpg to the gallon.

Keep in mind I DO accelerate to get in to traffic and mash the pedal down and such and drive aggressively enough that I hit high RPM's quite a bit :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts