Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Soul+ 118000+ miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a year ago MIL comes on - P0441 Evap system leak. First thought - purge solenoid. Pulled it and checked- sure enough. leaks air when not energized! Replaced with a new part from RockAuto. MIL did not go out. Found a post somewhere that this code will not self-clear, so cleared codes manually. MIL would still not go out. Next replaced the gas cap with OEM cap. No change. Pulled then Canister Vent Valve (CVV). The O-ring on it was crushed flat and probably leaking. New CVV from RockAuto. Now after clearing codes the MIL goes out for 1 or 2 trips, then comes back on. Still get code P0441. Running activation tests on purge valve and CVV both result in clicking sound coming from the appropriate area, so that shows all wiring is good. Evap system test on ThinkDiag scanner passes sometimes. I don't have any way to perform a smoke test. I have to pass emissions so this is now getting urgent. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Apparently, I managed to install the purge solenoid backward. Installing it correctly changed the DTC code. Had it replaced with an OEM part and now all is well. Passed emissions with no problem. The EVAP system seems to be very sensitive to the type of parts used. A smoke test was unnecessary. The total repair cost was $350.00.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had an 01 Frontier that I had this issue with for quite a while. A smoke test reviled a rust pinhole in the top of the tank. Take it to someone who can do the smoke test.

·
Registered
2011 Soul+ 118000+ miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I'm taking it to a mechanic Monday. I'll post an update when I know more.
[

1 - 4 of 4 Posts