Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Rio 1.4 CVVT AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2019 Kia Rio 1.4 Automatic brand new (just in its 100 km)

Problem: Strange Sound from engine.

I have the same strange sound in my new kia rio with the sound in the video below. Is it normal? if its not whats the problem? which part is making this sound? Dealer Service says there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
624 Posts
Most likely the high pressure fuel injection pump which is driven off one of the camshafts.
Sounds about normal to me. Should tone down a bit as things warm up in the engine compartment, but you will always hear it. The pressure generated by this fuel pump is in excess of 1,000 psi, so noise is expected.
Be sure to dump the OEM oil fill at 2000 miles and go to a high quality fully synthetic motor oil and high quality filter! Very important with these engines!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Rio 1.4 CVVT AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely the high pressure fuel injection pump which is driven off one of the camshafts.
Sounds about normal to me. Should tone down a bit as things warm up in the engine compartment, but you will always hear it. The pressure generated by this fuel pump is in excess of 1,000 psi, so noise is expected.
Be sure to dump the OEM oil fill at 2000 miles and go to a high quality fully synthetic motor oil and high quality filter! Very important with these engines!
Very disturbing sound in a brand new car. I wish I knew it before. Some says its normal. some says its from alternator. I think I am going to sell it after using a couple of years. hope its not a problem. thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Rio 1.4 CVVT AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real video
This is my car. I recorded this when the engine is cold. Do you still believe it is normal?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
624 Posts
Real video
This is my car. I recorded this when the engine is cold. Do you still believe it is normal?
From what I could hear in the recording I believe it is normal. You stated the dealership stated it was normal. If you have a trusted master mechanic ask her to listen with the hood open. And, does all this quiet down with the hood closed and with you in the vehicle?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Rio 1.4 CVVT AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I could hear in the recording I believe it is normal. You stated the dealership stated it was normal. If you have a trusted master mechanic ask her to listen with the hood open. And, does all this quiet down with the hood closed and with you in the vehicle?

People who have same model says its not normal. Right now the car is in the service. They will test when the engine is cold. But here in Turkey, official car services are terrible, they always say "this is not a problem, the guarantee does not cover this bla. bla." I used suzuki with gasoline and sometimes I used to forget the engine is running while stopped in the traffic light. I wouldnt sell it if it does not have steering problem. I mean this sound is not normal. I posted on Kia Turkey facebook fan page, 50 people commented, 48 of those said its not normal. I really dont know what to say. I think I will wait the services and if they say there is no problem I will look for legal rights.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well, I suppose you have convinced yourself it is not normal.....and it may not be. Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Rio 1.4 CVVT AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to services and tested another vehicle which is same model. Its engine was cold too. And sounds are exactly same. I think this is normal yes but still annoying. So this is not a problem yes but I wish It could be more silent even in cold weathers. Will try to get used to it.
Thanks..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts