Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA RIO 5dr Hatchback, Model: EX, 1.4 CVVT Engine, A/T
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I drive a Kia Rio HB A/T 1.4 Model EX on a daily basis in traffic for 1.5 - 2 hours, distance is 14KM, Average Speed of 19 km/hr, Average Fuel Consumption of 14-18 L/100 km based from my dashboard. Take note that this is just 1 way. I use 97 octane fuel.

I am looking for ways to save fuel.

1. Ask dealer to adjust my ECU setting to address my high fuel consumption
2. Stop engine when idling reaching 1 minute
3. Install a this device Unichip Piggyback Fuel and Timing Computer
4. Try addition fuel additives
5. Stay 2000 RPM at 4th gear
6. Turn off air-con most often

Looking for NEW ways which means all conditions are met like tire pressure is correct, etc...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
It takes you 1.5 - 2 hours for 14km? I don't know how it is in Manila but I would take public transport or bicycle for the communte. I can run the distance faster than what you mentioned.
I don't think that under these circumstances you can bring down fuel consumption to something that you would probably like to see.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
If you are traveling 1.5 hours 19km you are basically idling most of the travel time.

There is NO solution for your high consumption but to buy either hybrid or electrical vehicle.

Average speed reported by your car is not exactly correct. I doubt computer takes into account time you sit idling but computes average for moving time only.

Buy a scooter, bicycle, jog... no technical improvement, additive or whatever will improve your gas consumption. You might try to turn engine on and off while stopped in traffic but you will kill starter very soon.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
if you are looking to save money, switch back to 91 octane, while you may get a few more km's from 97, it won't offset the increased cost.

i haven't found that fuel additives do much to recoup their cost

for sure keep the a/c off at low speeds

like la-foal said, if it takes you that long to go such a short distance, your mileage will be terrible not matter what you do....

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
Time for a hybrid, diesel or electric vehicle. Start stop technology would help you in your situation.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
that distance and takes that long, why drive! To answer your question to save fuel - Take public transport or car pool, buy a scooter, walk, bicycle - your own suggestions are a waste of time in this particular case.

·
Registered
KIA Rio 1.4 CVVT 6MT/ 7" NAV/ 17"/ Leather/ Electric blue
35 Posts
a suggestion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts