Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 10 days ago my coolant temperature sensor went off. Before then my A/C was never actually "cold" like we all expect a new car to be. When that sensor went off my A/C had no cooling at all.

They said the fan had went on it and i had to replace that. This morning I got my Rio back with the new fan put in and my A/C is very cold ! .... That nice icy feel that we all want in the vehicle. Now i'm not sure why it is so much colder (maybe they have a new fan upgrade to the ones they were built with ?) .... All i know. After they replaced that fan and reset the sensor, my A/C is as cold as can be.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX(Silver), 2010 Subaru Forester, 2004 Subaru Forester (Traded for RIO SX)
27 Posts
I would think that the coolant temperature sensor is actually reading the engines coolant temperature? But you didn't mention overheating the engine. There could also be a dedicated sensors on the a/c system that could read high head pressure situation with a dirty coil or inoperative fan.The fan(s) draws air over the engines radiator (engine cooling system) it also might move air across the cabin cooling system, which is the condenser coil. Having an inoperative fan(s) could affect both systems due to no air being pulled across the front of the engine compartment when the car is standing still. If air is moving across the a/c coil heat is being rejected and not staying in the cabin and you feel cold.

I work on residential and commercial HVAC but not automobiles. Maybe that helped?

Bottom line is moving air across a coil (radiator or condenser) on any type of cooling system helps remove the heat (BTu's)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah all i know is that they reset the coolant temperature sensor and put in a new fan and my A/C is no wonder wimpy. I've got cold brisk air now !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts