Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,290 Posts
$12,000 is absurd for the head unit, no way it could have cost that much. This is the dealer trying to impress you with the cost, but it has no basis in reality! You can have an engine and transmission replaced for that kind of money!

Reactions: GWH

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
28 Posts
When and how do you know when to update the car? Also anybody here experienced in doing it?
I updated my car about two months ago with no issues. I left the car running per the instructions and it did take over an hour to complete. Whatever you do don’t stop it in the middle or you will end up bricking the unit. It is scary because the screen does go black and the stereo goes on and off several times while updating. It seems to take forever and it will wear on your nerves but have patience and it will be fine.

Reactions: GWH

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
FWIW, you don't need to leave the car running, just turn it on. Yes, you're running on battery, if that bothers you, stick a charger on it. I did mine, it worked fine sitting in the garage with the ignition switched on. It seemed silly to run the engine half an hour or so. I just left it and when I came back the radio was playing and the software was updated.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
28 Posts
FWIW, you don't need to leave the car running, just turn it on. Yes, you're running on battery, if that bothers you, stick a charger on it. I did mine, it worked fine sitting in the garage with the ignition switched on. It seemed silly to run the engine half an hour or so. I just left it and when I came back the radio was playing and the software was updated.
I left mine running for fear of it automatically turning off because of battery save mode or something. Glad to know that is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You have to hit the start button an extra time, when you get all the check lights lit on the dash, then the ignition is on and it won't turn off. At least it won't for my car. Once I was in that state, I started the update.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
399 Posts
Just when I was about to open a thread on the exact same topic! Here's my story about trying to update software for my Sorento...

Last week I decided to install the official April update. I figured that would be as easy as installing any other software update these days (for phones, laptops, etc.); after all it's 2021, and I thought Kia had a solid software engineering team. I downloaded the Navigation Updater program from the Kia website, and carefully followed all the instructions—downloaded the update, and proceeded to start an update in my car. For the first 20 minutes the installation was proceeding normally, successfully completing the first two (out of 5) update steps. And then suddenly the screen went black, and stayed this way for about 15 minutes, during which I sat patiently hoping the update would resume, but when it became clear that nothing was happening, I stopped/started the engine hoping that it would reset the system. The screen stayed black. I pushed the soft-reset button, the system restarted with a text "System Update", and then a message saying "Updating uCom 3/5" came up for a split second, only to be replaced by an error message saying "Update Unsuccessful. Restart the system to try again", and a second later another message saying "Please contact the customer service". I tried to reset the system a couple more times, but every time the same error message sequence occurred.

View attachment 119573 View attachment 119572 View attachment 119571 View attachment 119570

I didn't give up, and after finding the source of Kia/Hyundai/Genesis multimedia and navigation updates—on mapnsoft.com (the actual company is called Hyundai AutoEver, Inc.), I followed troubleshooting instructions in their FAQ, trying to restart/resume the update. Their recommendation in case a soft-reset doesn't work is to perform a hard-reset, which is essentially disconnecting a car battery—first for 30 minutes, and if that also doesn't work, then for 4 hours—to discharge/drain the capacitance in the head unit. I did both, and after half an hour the disconnected battery didn't help at all, I left the battery disconnected for a night, but the next morning the result was the same.

My next step was to go to my dealership's service department. I explained the situation to a service advisor, and the moment I said it was a software update problem, his face literally changed. The first thing he asked me was if I'd already spoken with Kia Canada HQ about this problem, and when I said I hadn't, he told me to book an appointment for a diagnostic, but said that software update issues most likely wouldn't be covered under warranty! Needless to say, I was quite pissed off at this response, and decided to call Kia Canada. To my even bigger surprise, a customer service representative at Kia Canada told me they are NOT responsible for software updates, and suggested I contact MnSOFT to troubleshoot the issue with them! As you can imagine, at this point I was furious and told them that it doesn't make any sense, and that a customer shouldn't run in circles when an official update offered on a Kia website via Kia software goes wrong. It didn't help much, and after filing a complaint, I finally called MnSOFT (or whatever they called) and explained the issue to them. At least these guys listened, and followed up in an email asking for all the details of this case. Unfortunately I provided them all the details, their actual proposed solution wasn't too useful—for the next couple of days they basically were telling me to try different flash drives, and different ways to download and copy the software to USB flash drives. I ended up buying 3 brand new flash drives just to rule out an option of incompatible media.

After three days unsuccessfully trying to resolve the issue with MnSOFT, on Monday I took my car to another Kia dealership service and left it with them for a day, hoping they surely must have a different way to reset the head unit and to force an update. I gave them a call at the end of the day, and... surprise surprise—they weren't able to resolve the issue, and basically were trying all the things I've done myself, like disconnecting the battery, and trying to run the update from a flash drive. Their conclusion was—the head unit is bricked (though I really doubt it), and they requested Kia Canada HQ's approval to replace the head unit. Yesterday they replaced the head unit, and I finally got all the lost functionality back. Btw, they told me that the cost of the head unit is $12K!

Summary and conclusion:
  • I don't trust Kia's software updates now at all! It's completely ridiculous that a software update in 2021 can brick a head unit. It should be designed and built as a fail-safe process, and if that's not the case, they shouldn't let their end-user run these updates.

• They (all 3 parties involved in this interaction: Kia Canada HQ, Kia dealership, MnSOFT/Hyundai AutoEver) refer to this software update as a "Navigation update", but in reality it's SO much more. With non-working head unit, most of "smart" features in the car stop working — obviously there's no navigation and media, but also all cameras stop working (because camera video feeds are displayed on the central display), none of UVO features work, it's impossible to change any car settings, and even Highway Driving Assist (HDA) stops working. It's absolutely unbelievable they don't (want to?) understand this.

• During this whole saga there was a lot of deflecting blame and pointing fingers at each other—dealership to Kia Canada HQ, Kia Canada to MnSOFT, MnSOFT to dealership. As a customer this is the last thing you want to experience while dealing with a problem. My opinion of Kia has deteriorated significantly.
    Here's another interesting (and very concerning) tidbit of information — it a screenshot from MnSOFT's "After installation issues":
    View attachment 119574
    Basically what it says is — if you have any other, non-navigation related issues with the software, they are not responsible for helping you. But as my case has just proven — good luck trying to get help from their customer care!

• Maybe it was an exception, and the majority of their updates run fine. But the way they tried to solve this issue, gives me zero confidence that if a similar thing happens again I (or any other Kia owner) would be screwed.
What's also obvious from all this is that the current system (Kia HQ <> Kia dealerships <> Kia software support) are NOT equipped to handle high tech cars. It's ironic given that the Kia EV6 that was recently announced probably has WAY more software features in it than my Sorento. Are they just going to replace entire cars if things go wrong with the software? I guess only time will tell...
That's when you drive it to the dealership and say the screen is dead. Please fix. :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
174 Posts
That's when you drive it to the dealership and say the screen is dead. Please fix. :cool:
I was considering doing an update on mine, but no way after reading of your experience. It's obvious that you are more competent with this sort of thing than an average vehicle owner, so that doesn't give Mr/ Mrs Average much hope. I agree that there's no way this should be so problematic...people manage to update computer operating systems all the time without "bricking" their computer for Pete's sake. Thanks for sharing your experience! BTW, did you notice if the new head unit had updated software? Wouldn't that be some sad irony if it didn't LOL.:LOL:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was considering doing an update on mine, but no way after reading of your experience. It's obvious that you are more competent with this sort of thing than an average vehicle owner, so that doesn't give Mr/ Mrs Average much hope. I agree that there's no way this should be so problematic...people manage to update computer operating systems all the time without "bricking" their computer for Pete's sake. Thanks for sharing your experience! BTW, did you notice if the new head unit had updated software? Wouldn't that be some sad irony if it didn't LOL.:LOL:
VDMTS was the original poster. I did a successful software update on my 2020 Kia Soul. It's always a little harrowing. If you are unsure - take it to the dealer and ask them if they can do it for you. I know you have to keep your car on for a good while - while it updates, so I just went for a cruise.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I just turned the ignition on and ran the update in my garage. I couldn't see any point in running the engine for the update. It took less than half an hour. The first update I did I actually did on a drive, but I had to wait a few minutes after I got home for it to complete.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
84 Posts
VDMTS was the original poster. I did a successful software update on my 2020 Kia Soul. It's always a little harrowing. If you are unsure - take it to the dealer and ask them if they can do it for you. I know you have to keep your car on for a good while - while it updates, so I just went for a cruise.
My dealer said it would be about $350 to update mine. So I did it myself. Had problems, but finally succeeded.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My dealer said it would be about $350 to update mine. So I did it myself. Had problems, but finally succeeded.
$350!!! That's nuts! I'm glad you got it done with no issues.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What is the advantage of doing the update ???
Well on my 2020 Kia Soul - it drastically updated the whole infotainment system to the "purple" interface with the "Nixie Tube" radio station interface. Also it has "user" data storage for personalized radio stations and settings for different drivers. If you are the only one driving it's a bit of a PITA. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
When and how do you know when to update the car? Also anybody here experienced in doing it?
FWIW, I just did the update today. It took about an hour or so, although I didn't keep track of the time very well. What worked for me (not a set of how-to instructions; just tips):

-Used a brand-new SanDisk Cruzer Glide 32GB flash drive. The update website has an FAQ section, and one of the questions is "can I use a flash drive with a capacity other than the recommended capacity?", and the answer is "no; use the recommended capacity flash drive" (more or less- not verbatim).
-Formatted the flash drive using FAT32 before downloading the software update to it.
-Inserted the flash drive in the car center USB port before starting the vehicle.
-Started the vehicle, navigated to the update in settings, and kept the vehicle running the entire time.
-Because I left the vehicle unoccupied, I had to keep an eye on the automatic engine shutdown and reset it before the timer expired. I didn't want to try the update without the engine running, because maybe the varying voltage without the engine running would cause an aborted update (only a wild guess).

I'm not sure that I can tell much difference, but the display does show the updated software version (the original was from Nov 2020). Maybe the maps are better, who knows.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
23 Posts
I used a 128gb with no issues and did the update with the engine off. If your battery is charged, it works fine. To be safe, engine on may be better

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I updated my 2020 Sorento sitting in the garage with the ignition on and engine not running. Worked fine and took about half an hour. No dent in battery charge that I could see. I can't imagine having to run the engine is strictly necessary. If you're really worried, clamp a trickle charger on the battery for the process.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I updated my 2020 Sorento sitting in the garage with the ignition on and engine not running. Worked fine and took about half an hour. No dent in battery charge that I could see. I can't imagine having to run the engine is strictly necessary. If you're really worried, clamp a trickle charger on the battery for the process.
I really wouldn't have thought running the engine was necessary either, but reading the horror story of an update gone bad made me very wary. I have a battery charger and considered putting that on, but figured running the engine would be less likely to fail. It should not be anything difficult to update, and if it's that tricky, Kia should not provide vehicle owners the ability to do it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Consider that you're much more likely to hear about the failures here than the successes. I'm sure there are countless folks that have popped the SD Card in and updated without any issues, we just don't hear about them. I've updated my system twice, no issues either time. I was driving the first time, but I decided to just do it at home the next update.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige Xline, Aruba Green Ext/Rust Int
84 Posts
Consider that you're much more likely to hear about the failures here than the successes. I'm sure there are countless folks that have popped the SD Card in and updated without any issues, we just don't hear about them. I've updated my system twice, no issues either time. I was driving the first time, but I decided to just do it at home the next update.
Mine went fine except it seemed to want to do a second update from the same update. I even shut the car off and it updated fine. For those who have issues when shutting off their cars, I am guessing it's ones like mine with the built in UVO modem that allow it to work while off. The system with that always stays on in the background which may be the reason.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts