Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone completed this update? Has your MIL started blinking?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
927 Posts
What software update? For which 'computer'?
There are all kinds of updates covering everything from the ECU to the UVO system (though the latter wouldn't have anything to do with a MIL).

·
Banned
2017 Sorento LX
131 Posts
Probably talking about the "Product Improvement Campaign" letter I got in the mail a couple days ago.

"Kia Motors America, Inc. is conducting an important Product Improvement Campaign to perform a software update on all 2016-2018 MY Sorento vehicles equipped with 2.4L GDI and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI engines to protect the engine from excessive connecting rod bearing damage. The update will be done free of charge and will only involve the addition of newly developed computer software for the ECU."

I get mine done next week.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
777 Posts
I might be stupid, but I don't see how a software flash is going to help a bearing problem. If there is trash in the engine causing excessive wear and failure, you can reprogram all you want but it's not going to flush the casting debris out of the way.
It looks like they're reprogramming the knock sensor to detect rod knock also with the expectation that they can catch it before things go thermonuclear.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX-L, 2018 Stinger GT2
55 Posts
I got mine done last week. It is an ecu update to detect rod bearing knock and will put the car into limp mode if detected and turn on your check engine light. They have also extended the warranty for life on the long block.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
23 Posts
I had my update completed 3 days ago. Today the engine light came on and the vehicle went into limp mode.

2017 with 30,000 miles and it has been running perfectly prior to the software update.

Dealer is closed today, Sunday. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and I’m supposed to drive my son to College next week, 1000+ miles one way.

I’m leasing this vehicle and I have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I’m hoping the problem is with the software update. I also hope they can diagnose the problem without tearing into the engine.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
117 Posts
I had my update completed 3 days ago. Today the engine light came on and the vehicle went into limp mode.

2017 with 30,000 miles and it has been running perfectly prior to the software update.

Dealer is closed today, Sunday. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and I’m supposed to drive my son to College next week, 1000+ miles one way.

I’m leasing this vehicle and I have had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I’m hoping the problem is with the software update. I also hope they can diagnose the problem without tearing into the engine.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the update. I was very leery that something like this would happen. I am going to wait and see if this problem continues.

I also take meticulous care of my vehicle I have the 2.0 turbo and change the oil every 3000 miles with factory filter and Pennzoil fullsynthetic. Let’s hope they get this issue corrected soon. Please leave some feedback as to what the dealer says regarding the update and your vehicle. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
307 Posts

Wow, this stinks. I am going to hold off on getting mine done now. Do you have the 2.4 or the 2.0T?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
75 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I got my car about 2.5 months ago from an Acura dealer. I have yet to receive a notice. I called my local Kia, told them about the notice and they confirmed the TSB by vin. I was in and out in about an hour.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Surprise surprise as Gomer would say. Potential issues with a software update. I will wait and see as my 2017 has been completely without issues so far.

·
Registered
17 Sportage & 17 Sorento..2.4 engines
10 Posts
Had my 17 Sorento done on 12/24. Not only did they update the software, they also replaced the inhibitor switch on the transmission aka (neutral safety switch).. knock on wood the vehicle runs ok.....on a side note.......even though the letter reads "long block" the service advisor believes its just the short block..for those that dont know the difference....Short block = engine block, crankshaft, rods ,and pistons. A Long block is a short block with the addition of the cylinder head, valves, & cams. Believe you me.....It will be a lifetime longblock for all in possession of the letter....just file it with the completion receipt.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the update. I was very leery that something like this would happen. I am going to wait and see if this problem continues.

I also take meticulous care of my vehicle I have the 2.0 turbo and change the oil every 3000 miles with factory filter and Pennzoil fullsynthetic. Let’s hope they get this issue corrected soon. Please leave some feedback as to what the dealer says regarding the update and your vehicle. Thanks.
That oil is good for 2-3 times that mileage. Changing it earlier isn't going to help this particular situation. Just costs you more money and generates needless additional used motor oil.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento
23 Posts
I called the dealer this morning.To be on the safe side I used Kia roadside assistance to tow my Sorento the 36 miles to the dealer. They’re supposed to look at it first thing in the morning.

I’ll let you know what they find.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts