Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up a 2001 Rio I recently purchased. I was very surpirsed at how well the car drove during the test drive...although there is one question that has been killing me, and finding an answer has been difficult.

Whats the deal with the Kia and the Rio in general? I get the get the feeling that people either love them or hate them.

What do you guys think...are they as reliable as a Ford, GM or DCX? My first impression is that they're quality is marginally better.

I keep hearing about all of these warranty nightmeres and major mechanical problems from online consumer reviews, but then others are thrilled with their Kia. Its kinda funny, because I looked up the reviews on an 01 Rio and on carsurvey and they were awful for the most part. Then I looked up an 01 Accent and the majority fo the reviews are excellent. I'm sure they're the same basic car design (i.e. powertrain) right?!

I'm CONFUSED.....so I thought I ask you guys around here - OWNERS, not just people who think Korean's can't make a decent car.

BTW, nice forum...its nice to see a Kia forum somewhere in cyberspace!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
Hi. I have a 2002 Rio and its great. I used to live in Philippines and have a lot of experience with Kia's. I wouldn't worry about the nonsense about warranties or engine problems. Kia has been the best company I ever dealt with in regards to warranties and the engines are excellent. If you have an automatic Rio and run it really hard in the summer with the AC on, you are going to kill it, but any car with only about 78 real hp will die under those circumstances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts