Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I purchased a 2006 black Kia Sorento Saturday the 22nd, I put $1000 down and made my payment plan for 531 a month and my first payment would be on the 25th of November, I signed all the contracts with three witnesses. I asked for copies of the contract but they told me they would give it to me when the tags and title came in and they handed me the keys to my new Kia Sorento. (or so I thought) I made an appointment for two weeks later to get custom leather in it, I went in today at 4:30 and the sales guy that sold it to me chatted with me for a bit and then a finance guy came in and told me that he was going to take the car back from me because I was not approved. And Im thinking "Well, isn't it a little late to be telling me this now considering I signed all the contracts and made a payment plan with the bank I assumed I was approved from!?!?" I started crying not knowing what else to do, I was just in shock...so I went out to the Sorento feeling humiliated getting all my stuff out of it while all the car salesmen were literally laughing at me.... I really am just baffled at this! Has this happened to anyone else or were they trying to take advantage of a young girl? I filed a police report just so they can't send me a bill later because they refused to give me a copy of the contracts...I just did that to try protect myself.
I would really appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
Wow sorry to hear what happened to ya. I have never heard of anything like this before. I would think if they had you sign all of the paperwork you would be good to go. Its kinda weird that they didnt call you to tell you this and that they waited to do it two weeks later.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
WOW!!! That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I see you are in Plano. I am moving to Garland soon and am planning to buy a new Sorento as soon as I arrive. Would you mind posting which dealer this was so I can avoid buying from them? Thanks and let us know what the outcome is please.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
You know that really sucks and trust me you have nothing to be ashamed of. Your dealership is the one who should be ashamed of themselves. If they had any balls at all they would handled it more professionally. My advice is to write a letter to them and KIA for that matter and tell them exactly what happened. They have no right treating you like that and you have every right to expect to be treating with the utmost respect. Again you shouldn’t feel bad at all.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX FWD Dark Cherry Red
273 Posts
Hey Katie- Thanks for the info on the dealer and salesman. I would agree with David in talking to Kia directly. I would write them and give them a call on their customer service line and let them know what happened. When I first got my spectra, I had terrible repair service and ended up switching to another dealer to get my work done. I also called Kia and complained. The GM from the dealer I bought the car from ended up calling me to apologize and wrote me a personal letter of apology along with coupons for $300 off service and 10 free oil changes. It does pay to complain sometimes. I would be so **** about being publicly embarassed like you were that I would be sure to make their lives **** as much as possible. Go get em Katie!!!! :gunsmilie:

·
Banned
417 Posts
I would quickly be in contact with a good attorney. Also I would contact your States Attorney General. I would not let this just slip by.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Katie, I didn't experience the exact same thing you did, but I almost broke the Golden Rule of car-buying: I almost financed with the dealership. Once you finish the laborious negotiations with the car salesman, the next phase of their operation is to stick it to you with financing. After a long and confusing battle with the financing department, I got up and simply went to my credit union. And that's really a better way to go. In many cases, not only will they let you know if you negotiated a bad deal, they'll even negotiate FOR you. I saved a TON of interest and they will usually be straight with you from the very beginning.

I definately feel your pain and hope that this info helps! By the way, there are some really good websites out there that you can learn car salesman scams and negotiating tactics. Realize too, that this isn't a KIA issue...this can and does happen at every dealership.

Also, look at the bright side: You're not stuck with a huge payment for the next 6 years. You now have the time to research and re-engage a better deal than before!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I cetainly hope you got your $1,000 DOLLARS BACK.
secondly i would talk to an attorney
and file a complaint with the attorney general. Next find a creditunion or bank and go buy a new one then follow all of the other advise above.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know how it works in the US but if you had financed the purchase with your bank and been approved by them then it is nothing to do with the dealer, you get the loan paid to you and, as far as the dealer is concerned, you are a cash buyer.

If on the other hand you took delaer finance and just arranged the monthly payment with your bank then the dealer would go through an approval process but I would normally expect that to take a couple of days at most and, if it was rejected, then I would expect any decent delaership to handle the situation sensitively and suggest alternatives.

Unfortunately there are a number of things taken into account with financing deals, not just whether you can afford the payments, previous payment history for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, but, unfortunately I have read about something similar as a well known dealer scam. (Do a search on the web for auto dealer scams). I've read that when you finance thru dealers and you have less than stellar credit, they will get you "approved"; let you drive away and then 2 weeks later, tell you that you didn't get approved for the interest rate they thought they got you. You then are told that you have a higher interest rate and are forced into higher monthly payments. The moral of the story: Don't finance thru a dealer; get your own financing.

I just bought a Sorento and allowed the dealer to try and get me financing. They came back with a better rate than I expected. They put the papers in front of me, but it didn't feel right. I refused the loan and told them I'd get my own financing. They then started telling me the car price was going up. I walked out. They called me the next day to tell me the price would remain the same and I could use my own financing.

I agree with the others, talk to an attorney. I don't see how they can reposess your car if you haven't defaulted on the loan.

DB

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Katie, they are trying to scam you up. What I think they tried to do to you is to allow you to drive the car for you to show it to your friends and neighbors so when they take back the car from you later, you will be forced to negotiate and agree whatever their terms is since they think that you not allow yourself to be embarrassed having a brand new car before and suddenly don't.

One new scam that the dealers are trying lately is to give you a certain number telling you that there is no unit on stock and there is a long "line" of buyers for that model you want to buy so it will take sometime. Then they will offer you some arrangements that you have to do so you can get your unit fast bypassing the long "line" of buyers. Arrangements like overpriced accessories or in-house financing with bloated interest rates.That they will do if they see that you're really eager to get your unit. WATCH OUT FOR THESE SCAMS OF OPPORTUNIST DEALERS !!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Katie, sorry to hear about your most unfortunate incident. I would suggest that you file a complaint with the bbb as well as the state about their business practices as well as seek consultation with an attorney. I would also suggest that next time you seek preapproval before you go car shopping. I used eloan when I bought my sorento and I had a check that was good at any dealer before I went shopping. Also when you sign a contract get a copy right then and there. You should get all pertinate paperwork at the time of signing and only the registration from the state will take some time. They should also give you a temporary tag when you take delivery of the vehicle. If you make a downpayment make sure you get a receipt for it on the spot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What an awful situation this is, my heart goes out to you Katie.
My question is what authority does this finance guy have to reposess the car. Surely reposession is only legal by order of a court, this is not reposession this is in my eyes auto theft by the dealership. You had not defaulted on any payments so they had no right to take the car. What the problem here is that somebody has screwed up and released the car without the finance being approved. Are the witnesses known to you or are they associates of the dealership because they are you trump card. Maybe the local newspaper would like to hear of your car buying experience in a none slanderous and honest way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know what the dealership you went to is trying to pull off, but it doesnt seem right....

When you go to any dealership, not just a KIA dealer and agree to purchase a car. Before they let you take delivery, they wait until you are approved for the loan or lease...Once you are approved and take delivery, they usually get paid by the bank or financial institution within 2-3 days..

If they gave you the car, and the title was in your name, and your not missing payments......it's yours.....

If what they are saying is true, then they are absolute idiots who have no idea how to run a business......

A dealership can tell you if you are going to be approved without even checking, it's easy................Here's how....... Say your car payment is going to be 400 per month, and say you have other debts totalling say $350 per month (car insurance, etc).......Those amounts cannot exceed 40% of your gross monthly income, it's called your in debt service, and the dealership finance manager always has to take that into consideration.....

So anyway, if your dealer really did screw up that badly, and you really arent approved, then you shouldn't be ashamed at all. They should be ashamed for being so incompitent... How they have even been able to sustain their business with people like that is mind boggling....

Don't worry, you'll get a sorento soon enough, and I`m sure you'll love it!! :)

josh

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
Yet another example of poor / shady car dealers. It's a shame this happened with Kia. I bought my last Kia and the Sorento I have now through Phil Long North in Colorado Springs - I keep my eye on them all the time, but they have yet to try and pull the wool over my eyes (at least, I'd like to think that's the case).

I'm so sorry this happened to you. What a crock. I hope you're fighting them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts