Kia Forum banner

So i have a crazy idea for performance.

13K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  izzuzi 
#1 ·
Okay, call me crazy but here it goes. For those who know how an intercooler is set up for turbocharged engines, my idea is quite similar. Designing an intake setup that looks exactly like an intercooler, but is only an intake. The setup would have 2 tubes like an intercooler but would both run to where you would traditionally plug in an aftermarket intake and they would merge into one pipe. The "Intercooler" intake setup would scoop the air through the front of the car, the air being colder and would feed into the car. Is this idea stupid?

#2 ·
Not stupid, but there are plenty of after-market "Air Intakes" available. Colder air is denser and stokes the fire better. On a turbo, the compression of the air increases its temperature, and the intercooler partially compensates for this. Some older ideas included a small spray of water into the intake which also cools the inflowing air. It's a common experience that the engine "seems to go better" on cold foggy mornings and people try to recreate this.

#6 ·
Wouldnt you get higher gains [with my idea] because I'd think that would pull more air in than a traditional CAI
Apart from having a more complicated arrangement of tubes, your idea (being a passive device) would not be better than a simple air intake sucking air from a cooler spot.

Air intakes need to eliminate rain, dust etc., and high performance cars with direct air intakes (no screens or filters) have sometimes come to grief by sucking in road debris. I saw one car (Jaguar, I think) blow an engine due to a small piece of gravel.

#7 ·
Its a good idea, but its not a practical one. It wont work like you think it will. It wont pull any more air in that your engine allready does, and an intercooler only cools air back to the ambient temp, which is what your car pulls in allready. Assuming your filter is not stuck wide open in the closed engine area.

If this was to work to the degree of use, you would have to cool the intercooler alot more than with air flow moving past it, you would need like meth or something, or a water/air intercooler system that uses cold water to cool the air. But again, its so much work to see little if anything of a gain, its not worth it.

#8 ·
Crazy ideas

It would work but as has been pointed out you could get the same benifit fom a cold air intake system. Cost less and easier to install. Just dont do like most of the Honda's I have seen with a cold air intake that leave the filter sitting in the engine compartment. The best setups have some way for the filter to be pulling in fresh air outside the engine compartment.
I knew a guy who had a Camero drag car, the intake was the kind with runners over the valley and had a set of dams made of sheetmetal so he could ice the intake manifold between rounds. It gave him a couple tenths of a second in the quarter, so cooler air definately does help performance.

#10 ·
Idea!

Sounds like a plan. Just be careful how low you place the inlet/filter. You can pull in water and lock up your engine in the rain going through a puddle. Ask me how I know this :eek:

#12 ·
Back in my foolish and , much younger days I ran with a crowd of very die hard mustang enthusiasts, we did a lot of street racing(I dont recommend,especially now-besides the danger factor ,the laws are much tougher) but we did go to the track. I would always take with me a big cooler filled with bags of ice. Between runs I would lay them out on and around my intake. It did help takes a few 10ths off..... but every time other racers waiting in the staging area would become alarmed because my vehicle was leaking a clear fluid, Being several were running some exotic fuels they became very concerned until I pulled up the hood and showed the bags if ice. The bags of ice was a trick my dad told me about that he used to do when street racing back in the 40-50's.

#13 ·
I own a Kia sportage with a G4GC 2L motor and I have turbocharged it.

Regardless of what you do to the intake it makes no differences on the dyno and so is the exhaust. Factory tune is extremely consistent, The power curve stops at exactly 73fwkws on multiple dyno runs with stock air box, pod, stock exhaust and no exhaust or cat. They were the first two things that I've tried before turbocharging it.

#14 ·
I put a a turbine into my intake in a Spectra 2006 2.0L (same engine as HyperGear), I saw a little change in the reponse of the throtle, felt in the gas pedal, but it also increased the fuel economy at least 15%.

I'm confident the more air you let in to the engine, the more efective mix you'll have, but I'm also agree to what HyperGear said about the exhaust system. Personally I don't like the very "roary" sound comming from everywhere except from the engine.

#16 ·
Here;s my 2 cents on this...

First of all i installed a cold air intake system...

It does increase performance.. the rule says 10 degrees cooler air from stock will give u 3.3% increase in HP..I have the rio 2015 and that means the say im 110 HP that means im around 114 HP..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.